Witcher Season 2 (see OP for spoiler policy)

(episode 5)
OK, Ciri does realize that training alone isn’t enough, though Geralt knows the witching process isn’t the best idea. Even if she was a random person, the odds aren’t good she would survive. But we know she has powers, so who knows what would happen – one could argue she would have better chance of surviving, but it also possible it would result in a matter/antimatter annihilation…
Are girls not witcherized due to misogyny or for some “real” reason?. Seems women are reasonably represented among mages (I haven’t done a census, but they seem to outnumber men)

(Beginning of episode 6)

No! Not Roach! :cry:

Brian

(episode 6)
So we finally have Geralt, Yennifer, and Ciri in the same room – though not for long.
Would Yennifer sacrifice Ciri to get her magic back? I hope not. (no spoilers please)

Brian

I won’t spoiler anything, but this entire conflict/crisis pissed me off. I have not read the books, but I kind of want Yen, Geralt, and Ciri to be together as a team more!

I’ll spoiler this, but it’s from fairly early in the series

why would Yennifer

believe that the witch/demon can and will give her back her powers if she renders up Ciri? Of the three women the demon appealed to, Yennifer seems to be the only one who realizes she’s being manipulated by an evil being. But still, she believes it. Why?

She didn’t believe or care until she had no other choice.

(Episode 7) “In the kneecaps”
So, in American football, the QB is calling on Baba Yaga?

Brian

We bingewatched seasons 1 and 2 over the last 2 weeks. I’d never heard of the games or any backstory, but enjoyed it tremendously. The captions folks had to document a lot of "Hm"s and sighs, the dialog is a little repetitive at times.

I’ve just finished Season 2 then.

I thought it was great, and it managed a decent season arc, though I think S1’s more episodic, ‘monster-of-the-week’ approach was more fun. And I missed the time-weirdness providing back-story.

Jaskier seemed a bit more forced in his humour this time around, though still funny. I can fanwank this being a product of years of bitterness between the seasons’ appearances I suppose.

I would have appreciated Yennefer being a bit more vulnerable, like Clark Kent when he loses his superpowers (Superman 2 is it?). Though it was good to see her improvise and blag her way out of danger.

I really wasn’t clear on the deals struck by Fringilla and the Elf Queen with the Hut Witch. Yennefer was going to sacrifice Ciri in exchange for her magic back - what were the other two ‘paying’ in return for power, and an Elven baby (respectively)? Sure it’ll be clearer upon rewatch.

The other two were leading their people into war, I thought. And they both believed the hut demon was good. As best as I could tell, only Jennifer understood that she was evil, and sought pain.

In addition to the sets being unbelievably extravagant, I was floored by the level of detail in costuming and set decorations. It looks like the leather work, metal work, and tailoring was done by master crafts people. There were all kinds of things like candlesticks, vases, metal doo-dads, fabric work, artwork, etc. that were catching my eye and made me wonder how much work was put into all those little details.

I’d say they were both wary. Francesca specifically said that she was aware that the entity they’d been dealing with was not Ithlinne as she had first thought when she was just dreaming. But Voleth Meir was seemingly making good on its promises, so they were prepared to ignore what was behind the curtain and not think that hard about it.

They just didn’t expect it to be a Monkey’s Paw bargain, because they don’t read enough fantasy and horror stories :slight_smile:.

This is no longer accurate. :smiley:

First season was great, even if E4 did throw me a bit.

Second season was okay but not great. I’ll spoiler my comments:

S2E7 was paced very quick but completely pissed me off when they reduced the continent to the size of a postage stamp or whatever. We see the crack happen, we see the call out for riders, we see the riders start their journey to where Ciri and Yennifer are standing… and then they are upon the two ladies, who have apparently just stood still for the 10-20 minutes it would actually take to ride the vast distance from the gate to where they are standing. OR they covered that ground instantaneously, somehow.

THEN, Geralt is there, despite just having left Kaer Morhen only moments ago. So he traveled instantaneously too, I guess?

This was really, really poorly executed and thought-out IMO. It completely took me out of the story and caused a huge NO in my brain. It felt like an insult AND a slap in the face.

S2E8 was just fairly boring but the reveal pissed me off. Can we please write fiction that doesn’t make every goddamned worldwide apocalyptic conflict a fucking family dispute? Yes, it’s a pet peeve of mine; I know that not all others feel the same.

Some general stuff that I don’t like:

The dialogue audio recording is terrible and the mixing makes it worse. I have to keep the subtitles on and a good one-third of the incidental stuff isn’t audible at all, even with the volume turned up to “window-shaking”. Whoever is mixing the audio is EQing the dialogue to fit right solid in the midrange, which causes it to be obscured by the overly-loud “ambient” noise and music.

I dislike the term “Witcher”. I’m not a fan of repurposing existing words for use outside their normal context. Why not just make up a word? Similarly, dryads are not “women who live in a forest”; why not just make up a word? No one will care. I notice that the dwarves are short people and the elves have pointy ears, so that fits. But why “witcher”? Just make up your own cool word ffs. I mean, would it have been acceptable to call the small folk “giants” and just leave it at that?

Some general stuff that I do like:

I liked how the first season required quite a bit of mental work on the viewer’s part to put all the pieces in the right place to create the quilted tapestry that is the story. That was fun and interesting and kept me engaged on multiple levels. Who is that? What side are they on? What sides are there?

The complex and deep history, too, has been fantastic to see peeled back a little at a time, altho I was kinda cheesed to discover it’s only been about 400 years since the Conjunction, apparently.

Ditto with the characters: they all have deep backstories and motivations and personalities. Favorite character so far: Yarpen. He’s freaking hilarious and awesome. Least favorite character: the bard. Not only do I dislike bard characters in general, I don’t care for the actor or his portrayal.*

Which brings me right to the acting: pretty much top-notch. This is the first I’ve seen Henry Cavill; he seems perfect for the role. Anya Chalotra is great but frankly she was better in S1, where her character required quite a bit more effort. Freya Allen is okay but I keep being confused as to how old Ciri is. She was like 12 when she was playing knucklebones before Cintra fell; have 4 or 6 years gone by since then somehow? I blame the writers and the casting director, mostly. Eamon Darren doesn’t convince me at all. Other than that, everyone is at least okay, some are pretty good and a few are really good.

I agree with so many others here: the costumes, sets and settings are freaking amazing. I don’t think they’ve needed a lot of custom leather or metal work, tho; it’s amazing what is being done with PVC and foam these days. Just go to a craft store and take a look at the cosplay section.

I’d give the first season a 9/10 but the second season I’d only give a 7/10. Plenty good enough to keep me looking forward to S3, mind you, but a noticeable drop that should not be repeated.

*The best portrayals and characters for bards IMO are in the light-hearted semi-spoof series JourneyQuest. If you haven’t taken the time to watch the 3 brief seasons, I highly recommend them; the production company has posted them to YouTube so you can watch them free. Here’s the first episode: Onward!.

Discourse isn’t letting me quote a piece in spoilers, so I took your whole post and edited it down to the two bits I wanted to reply to. Hopefully, it’s clear.

I was more confused by that than just “nope”. But your comments make me think the fault may not have been on my part.

I agree with you about this, although unlike “witch” (or “dryad”) “witcher” isn’t really an English word. But the original material was translated from Polish novels, and I wonder if the original translation was just mediocre. Anyway, while I agree with you, I’ve kind of gotten over this, and it doesn’t bother me much any more.

The translation they sometimes used for other adaptations was “Hexer”.

I thought the term “witcher” was mildly annoying at first, but I’m used to it by now.

I agree with you both: it’s mildly annoying. Yes, in the context of the story, one becomes inured to the term. But I still think it wouldn’t have been that hard to come up with a nifty term for “purposely mutated monster hunter”. As a trend, I’d rather not see re-purposing like that continue, tho, so I said something (even if only to a small audience).

IMO definitely not your fault:

From the time the man on the wall yells until Geralt appears (without noise or anyone notching him riding up on this treeless plain) is about 43 seconds of screen time. From the time we first see the Nilfs on horses, just outside the wall already somehow, until they close with Ciri and Yennifer is an astounding 20 seconds or so. And yet somehow, Ciri and Yennifer are unable to make it to their horses in similarly quick fashion.

Here’s the wiki that explains the word. Basically wiedźmin is an entirely invented Polish word by the novelist and the game company decided to go with “witcher” when translating to English. Seems like warlock is a closer cognate to female witch, which is what Sapkowski was going for in Polish, but what do I know :wink:.

About 1,500 years actually. MrDibble posted a link to an interactive timeline for the show (which starts in year 839) and map which can be found here.

Wiedzmin would have been okay but I still think he should have just made up a word. :smiley:

At least now I know the author isn’t the one who came up with witcher (even if he does endorse it now).

Also, thanks for the timeline eh; very helpful.

I misinterpreted the gap between the Conjunction and the first Witcher; it is much longer than I thought.

It seems bizarre that Geralt is only like 100 years old and Vesemir’s only 65 years older. I guess I just like that “feeling the weight of the years” thing.

This is the map I went and found before I had even seen S2E7, which no doubt helped fuel my ire:

I do cosplay crafting, and what’s on screen in the Witcher is not cosplay crafting. It could mostly have been bought off the shelf from LARP suppliers, but that’s not the same thing as cosplay. And a lot of the armour, like the Nilfgaardian wrinkled leather, is custom work. Probably in plastic, but hardly just cobbled from the cosplay shelf at Joann’s. And the detailing on the hero outfits is definitely custom.

That’s show specific - other fan estimates have wandered as high as 350 years. There’s basically only show canon on this. The video game hints that he is multiple centuries old.

Aye; I got that the timeline was just for the show. Thanks for the other estimates; like I said, I do kind of like “weary of the world 'cause I done got old” characters and themes.