Without answers, why religion?

I don’t pretend to be an expert on India, but I have read numerous articles about Muslim oppression, not just at the national level from Modi, but at the regional and local level, from the extremists there. Overall, it sounds very much like the various laws being forced through state governments in America.

• For decades, Muslim communities have faced discrimination in employment and education and encountered barriers to achieving wealth and political power. They are disproportionately the victims of communal violence.
  • Prime Minister Narendra Modi and the ruling party have moved to limit Muslims’ rights, particularly through the Citizenship Amendment Act, which allows fast-tracked citizenship for non-Muslim migrants from nearby countries.

Are all these articles not true? If they are true, I can’t understand how you are denying the cultural and political harassment of Muslims in India, based off of religious bigotry.

So you have no expertise on India, read articles in the last 7 years since and have reached the conclusion

[quote=“Exapno_Mapcase, post:26, topic:943909”]
…It is true of Jews in Israel. It is true of Hindus in India.[/quote]

I am sorry, but that is a gross generalization with very little data. Yes the current government has religious zealots, but it does not prove anything about Hindus in general, who by and large don’t want to impose their views on others. As pointed out above Muslims in India have their own law system based on Islamic Sharia law, perhaps the only non-muslim majority country to allow this.

It is also worthwhile to point out that the Animosity between Hindus and Muslims, has its origins in the Hindu Persecution by Muslims starting around 1100AD.

It was the whole reason that led to the creation of a new country : Pakistan

It should also be noted that the Hindus of India welcomed Jews to Kochi Kerala during the time of King Solomon and there was/is no anti-semitism for centuries. When the Muslims invaded Persia, Hindus provided refuge to Parsees (Zoroastrians). Zoroastrians in Persia were wiped out by Muslims.

So bottomline : Hinduism, Sikhism, Buddhism historically has not sought to make everyone go one way.

You don’t have to be a Christian at all while believing these things. The first is from the Torah, and is basically what is put on the doorposts of Jews, among other places. The second wasn’t invented by Jesus, and is perfectly reasonable as a matter of secular ethics.
So, what do you feel about salvation?

I guess this is also valid for religion.

I think so. A society probably runs more smoothly when everyone has the same answers to the kinds of questions that religion gives answers for.

But that may only be possible for, as @LSLGuy said, the “very homogenous small local societies of yore.”

It seems that when any particular religion gains enough political power, abuse will occur…but are there any notable exceptions to this?

First, you are abusing my entire argument. As long as there is one instance of the government putting the favored religion’s beliefs into law, my point is made. That instance exists. What individuals think is irrelevant. How many times do I have to say this?

Second, I’d like to hear from an Indian Muslim to see if they’re so sanguine on the subject.

Third, what do this have to do with the question of why people are choosing atheism or spiritualist philosophies in increasing numbers? Could the increasing fundamentalism of the religion you’re defending have anything to do with it? Is bringing up a history of hatred and revenge really the best argument for your position? Does a reflexive defense whenever anybody mentions the obvious faults of every religion in the world help when explaining why people are fleeing organized religions? How about trying to explain the question in the OP rather than try to argue that objective reality isn’t real?

“You can’t make generalizations about Hindus as a group, and anyway, it’s all the Muslims fault in the first place!”

As the great Rabbi Hillel said, “the rest is commentary.” OK, maybe that’s apocryphal, but I 100% get what you’re saying.

And the corner of Catholicism in which I was raised would agree. Maybe that’s what happens when your parents send you to Jesuit schools.