Without checking any reference source: define and give the significance of the word "blitzkrieg."

Without reading the thread and just relying on memory -

Blitzkrieg means “lightning war” in German. It was the battle doctrine for Nazi Germany in WWII, where they tried to avoid the stalemate of WWI by first attacking with their airplanes, then following up with tanks. The infantry then moved in to complete the conquest of the territory. They conquered France in about six weeks this way. The French relied on the Maginot Line, which the Nazis bypassed by invading (I think) Belgium. After that, it was a rather overwhelming victory for the bad guys.

Regards,
Shodan

This thread is going to turn into a huge pile of unread correct answers. :stuck_out_tongue:

Blitz- lightening. Kreig- war.

The German strategy of using heavy concentrations of Armor to penetrate defenses then exploit them.

Lightning war. Attacking as suddenly, violently, and surreptitiously as possible to inflict the maximum damage in the minimum time. Used by the Nazi invaders.

From the German “lightning war”, meaning a surprise tank-based invasion or offensive that attempts to quickly overwhelm the opponent’s defenses.

“Shitstorm” / German / German nighttime bombing raids on London, WW2.

Without checking any reference sort: define and give the significance of the word “shibboleth.”

Asking the SDMB a medium-easy factual question.

It owed mostly to the stupendous von Hutier Tactics of 1917; but needed the traditional German Auftragstaktik ( subordinates use their own initiative fluidly as opposed to rigid control ) dating from before v. Moltke the Elder to be effective.
However Napoleon and the other French generals of the Revolution earlier combined exceptional speed and terror in their aggression.

I may not be typical. A lifelong interest in history and military history. Decades spent in uniform including quite a few years in Armor. Its kind of in my wheel house.

It was not coined by Guderian and wasn’t even an official doctrinal term.

I believe it’s from German for “lightning war.” I believe it was used in reference to air raids.

Lightning war. Rolling the fuck over Poland.

Not to mention treating Belgium like my pit bull treats screen doors.

Because there’s nothing more lightning-like than a stone wall. :slight_smile:

Without cheating, I was familiar with the historical context, but I somehow didn’t remember that blitz meant “lightning.” I’ll add that I vaguely remember hearing the word in the context of chess back when I played, but much less common than simply “blitz,” either as a strategy or simply the common name for a quick timed game. Blitz, of course, is popular in sports, although I can’t say I’ve ever heard it followed by “kreig.” I’d be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he was trying to make a sports reference and inadvertently invoked Godwin.

Is there a sports figure named Stonewall Jackson?

I’m not being sarcastic there; I don’t follow any sport.

Oddly enough, the US Civil War did provide one of the ancestors of blitzkrieg, though it was on the Union side in Sherman’s March to the Sea.

ETA:

Stonewall Jackson.

ETA again: Seriously?

Which is why I said upthread that, if you were going to be as off-base as the memo’s writer, you could have at least written Sherman.

And I didn’t need your Wikipedia cite. The fact that Sherman’s death by friendly fire always strikes me as faintly humorous is probably part of the reason I am a bad person. Knowing who Jackson was and when he lived was part of the reason the memo caught my attention. It was nearly as incongruous as saying “We’re going to follow the example of Hannibal,” etc.

Now who’s mixing up Jackson and Sherman? :wink:

Oh, I didn’t realize that was the actual quote. In that case, the guy sounds like a dummy.

Don’t make me release the bees.

ETA: Ah, who am I kidding? I’ve already pressed the button.