Without looking it up: Did Patty Hearst go free?

Just adding myself to the list of people who were going to post that she heard the burst of Roland’s Thompson gun and bought it.

breaking rocks in the hot sun.

The current rule is that you’re supposed to wait 5 years after release before officially applying for a presidential pardon, but the requirement can be waived in some cases. However, there are few limits on the president’s pardon powers, and can if he wishes pardon someone who is still in prison or who has never even applied for a pardon.

Some people “remember” her being acquitted at trial.

At the time, I thought her conviction was an even greater outrage than her having been prosecuted in the first place. I still do.

Who knows is right. Maybe a better legal team would have kept that picture of her out of evidence, or put it in a more favorable context. Maybe a better legal team would have negotiated a no-time plea deal. Or convinced her to testify. Or done something differently.

What I remember is discussing her trial with my high school classmates back then (many of whom believed that the kidnapping was staged, but what do a bunch of 17-year-old boys know?), and the older generation, the experienced and distinguished lawyers I knew then (and know now), saying that F. Lee Bailey (now disbarred, for reasons having nothing to do with the Hearst trial) was a grandstanding, egomaniacal, possibly alcoholic, incompetent buffoon, and that Patty Hearst would have been better served by a reasonably able public defender.

I really don’t have any opinion of my own on whether or not Ms. Hearst should have been convicted. I’m not a lawyer. I know a bit more about law than most non-lawyers, by virtue of having grown up with lawyers and worked for law firms for around twenty years now. Which means I know enough to understand that I know absolutely nothing, which is a realization most non-lawyers never come to.

If it weren’t for her family’s money and social status she wouldn’t have been kidnapped in the first place.

I remember all the speculation and rumors at the time that she had been in on the kidnapping from the beginning. I never bought it. To me, it’s very easy to believe that a young woman could be brutalized to the point where she’d go along with whatever her captors told her.

I thought it was so awesome when she showed up in Cecil B. Demented.

From what little I’ve read, I don’t think there’s any real scientific support for brainwashing or Stockholm syndrome. These days, the experts who testified on these topics might not even be allowed in front of the jury.