Witness haters--are you happy now? :(

Dude, he’s talking about you as if you were mentally handicapped and pathetic. Do you really want to thank him for that?

Please do, and while there, please ask the same lawyer about the penalties for denying healthcare or lifesaving measures to a minor. Personally, I’d take a libel charge over neglect, abuse, or murder any day.

Also, be informed about who you are in bed with:

Bullshit. You know the OP is still there for anyone who wants to read it, right?

dougie if you didn’t want a hostile thread you shouldn’t have thrown the first shot.

“Might” is a powerful weasel word. The same group has been showing up at my house three and four times a year for many years. I have never bothered to tell them to go away, (I am mildly amused at the nonsense they spout and have never bothered to even argue with them), but my wife has explicitly told them to never return on the occasions when they have caught her, yet return they have.

‘relentless questioning’ ? you really are quite the foolish one - I asked once, then I asked if you would like to re-answer 2 parts after clarification - so I didn’t reject your answer to d, but you were not fully honest (or you truly are ignorant) in your answer to (a) so it was clear that your ‘disappointment’ in the answer to (d) would be mis-directed.

And for you to claim ‘ignorance’ as to your own organization’s teachings only makes you look more foolish - it also makes you look like a liar - I have a very hard time believing you when you say it - even taking you at your word that you are not - you can no longer say that - I’ve shown you what your org teaches.

And what is this ‘ulterior motive’ bull? My motive is plain - the masthead of this site proclaims it - fighting ignorance - and you present alot of ignorance worth fighting - if not for you - but for others that may be interested in the information.

To yours and ‘Brickabracka’ assertion that I would not have this argument in public - I say that I have, many times - you are both fools to imply that I would be to ‘cowardly’ to do so.

Witness hater? I never really gave them a second thought, but I have to say this thread hasn’t improved my feelings about the religion. Was there a point to the OP?

I must admit I kind of hated them. Not enough to give them sexual gratification from the persecutey goodness of my hate, more of a deep distaste actually, but after dougie and Uber admitted to perpetuating my worst prejudices against the cult, yep. Total hater here.

I don’t hate them…but, my God, I hate their doctrines.

Same for Christian Scientists. They are some of the nicest people I have ever met in my entire life. But their hellish beliefs have led to countless deaths and untold misery.

It’s a little like the Christian ideal of “Love the sinner, but hate the sin.” I’ve never met a JW I didn’t like…but their ideas, dogma, tenets, and values are evil.

That was true of me until this thread.

To **John Stamos’ Left Ear **(#340): Trolling? :confused:
To **J. S. Goddess **(#341) I don’t see it that way. I see a straightforward defense of me—although I don’t in fact recall giving my age. And I am not some pitiable, feeble old man.
CLee (#342) Oh, sure. From now on I’ll be sure to look gift horses in the mouth—to find something wrong with prior statements of anyone who concurs with me on any topic on the SDMB. :rolleyes:
**Ivory Tower **(#344) I’m beginning to think that way; the kind of milieu I’ve put myself into with this thread and this topic: a comment that says plenty about some of those who have answered.
Tomndebb (#345) I’ve never heard of such a thing; those Witnesses you mention seem way overzealous. As I’ve noted it runs counter to my experience.
**Simster **(#346) What I meant by “ulterior motive” was: I suspect you were reversing the Witness-and-householder roles, with this line of questioning, and setting me up. And I sensed this before I saw this expressed outright in a post. It’s as if it reached the point that I were to complain, whereupon you would say, ‘Oh, you can’t take it? Now you know how we feel when you come to our door!’
As for the last 4 posts (## 347-350), Well, to each his own…
Another Doper asked why I would do this instead of volunteering in some manner. Well, actually I have been doing that for about 20 years.
I have mentioned, on this board, a woman whose daughter I went to school with. The mother was quite up in years in the late 1980s (rather, she was deteriorating physically), and I drove her around wherever she needed to go—grocery store, doctors’ offices, City Hall (she was involved in local government), and so on. She died about two weeks after Clinton’s second inauguration; I was one of the pallbearers. 
Another such person was Maureen, whom I have also mentioned frequently on the Board. I have driven her around, often in her own car—when she passed the aged of 80, in 2006, she stopped driving, having developed cataracts. I took her around in the car same as Ms. Sanders. She is still living, but not in much better fettle.
And there is my own mother, who just turned 84 in September. She no longer drives, either, so I do all the driving for the family—groceries, doctor appointments, and so on.
So I am not lacking in doing for others. :)

a) I was not ‘reversing’ the roles - I was trying to have a conversation with you and trying to get you to take part - I guess it does, in fact, reverse the roles - but that was not the motive - it does become ironic with your reactions and avoidance.

b) to your ‘good deeds’ - you are quite the ‘christian’ example - I mean, taking care of your mother! wow! and being a pall bearer! wow - shuch shining examples of christian kindness!

:rolleyes:

come back when you’ve spent some time working in a homeless shelter (without trying to place your publications) or feeding the poor or any number of other things you pathetic little man.

I stand by my sentiments.

Dougie_Monty:

Matthew 7:6

I’ve seen nothing in this thread that would indicate the people you’re speaking with are any better than the incredibly awful qualities they’ve been misattributing to you. Maybe they’ll prove me wrong, but this is some vociferous and relentless crusade they’re on to make all Witnesses look like child-sacrificing demons. Broad brush stokes indeed. If it truly disgusted them so badly, they’d probably keep away from it, not place the responsibility for the bad things that happened squarely on the shoulders of one or two people because they happen to post in this thread, and then draw up from that well of hatred the same negativity over and over again. Whether what they’re saying is true or not, this is nothing more than a circlejerk of anger and hate, and you’d do well to remove yourself from it.

I’d like to see one of the JW in this thread distance themselves, criticize, disavow etc any of the “broad brush” sentiments being expressed, if indeed they are so broad to be inaccurate.

Well, thanks!

Indeed indeed.

I’m pretty sure we’re not blaming dougie for everything every JW has done ever.

If what we’re saying is true, then it’s not a circlejerk at all but a legitimate criticism. And go have a re-read of the first page of this thread where the OP accuses everyone else of being happy that a couple of JWs were shot at by a crotchety loon with a gun. If the well is full of hate and anger, the OP has drawn up more than his share of buckets full.

Mind you, I am of the opinion that some folks in this thread have been overly vitriolic in their views, but many others haven’t so let’s not pretend we’re *all *picking on poor dougie without reason or mercy.

I don’t hate witnesses. I don’t believe in their religious ideas, but I do feel they have the right to their beliefs. and if they come to my door I just ask them to show me how they translate the Bible and to prove what their beliefs teaches. Since all writings are of from another human and humans can be wrong, just like the people who believed and believe the earth is flat and there is life n Mars.

There was a man who thought there were canals on Mars so there must have been cities there. he was sincere and , thought it was evidence. Now there is proof there are no people or Martians living on Mars.

Persecution of Jehovah’s Witnesses is not really laughing matter. Read a short piece about what the Nazis did to them. It will be enough.

And there has been a lot of persecution in the U.S. since its inception in 1931.

BTW, President Eisenhower was raised as a Jehovah’s Witness. I think the religious group went by a different name then. He was sworn into office on a Jehovah’s Witness Bible. I doubt that most American’s are aware of that.

I don’t answer my door or my phone unless I want to. Do some of you feel a compulsion to always respond?

You might want to do a search for the other thread that was companion to this one wherein dougie and Uber defended shunning and defended allowing minor children to die for lack of transfusion. No way to determine if either of them have allowed a child to die because neither would answer the question “would you allow your child to die for lack of transfusion”. Or search for any of the ex JW support networks if you want to get a taste of the pain and misery JWs inflict on their own families.

Your feelings about risking the lives of others were made clear in the other thread. It was “fuck 'em let 'em die” right? So it’s probably safe to assume you don’t care if kids are allowed to suffer and die because the JWs fetishize blood. But most of us do care, and most of us would save the life of a sick child. Most of us wouldn’t turn our backs on our family members for having doubts or dating outside the cult. Most of us wouldn’t consider shunning our own children and leaving them hopeless and lost.

In other words, “Your deeds of kindness do not meet my definition or standards, therefore they are invalidated and unworthy of note.”

Maybe the 64 year old man spends what time and energy he has helping those in his own family? At least he’s maintaining a consistency of thought. Whether it’s right or wrong in your eyes.

You are taking all the negative feelings you have towards all Witnesses and directing it squarely at this one individual, evidenced by the name calling and unending crusade, with the end goal presumably of yelling a gigantic “GOTCHA! NEENER NEENER NEENER!” That’s what’s pathetic.