Women with big stones - Are big, flashy gemstones in jewelry in poor taste of not?

What exactly is the statement of any jewelry? You wear it because you like it.

She’d look better in nothing…

I just got a manicure and I’m showing it off?

I have a very nice long neck and I’m drawing attention to it?

I wear my hair long and in a pony usually so I’m going to draw attention to my updo?

I guess it kind of depends on the piece in question - a statement piece is going to draw attention to whatever body part it’s on.

Yet even that doesn’t help Gia.

Why the obsession with getting attention? :confused:

Maybe not attention so much as that particular piece of jewelry will accentuate that particular area. It’s similar to putting more effort into eye makeup and less into your lips because you want your eyes to stand out more (or because you hate your mouth), or choosing a particular cut of dress to accentuate your assets.

You tell me.

That when you grow up, you want to be Mr T?

Depends on the context. I’m not a huge fan myself of huge gemstones - but I have little occasion to wear them.

I think QVC sells a lot of “fantasy items” - because it isn’t exactly like you see most women walking around with that much bling at the mall.

I take it that you’re unfamiliar with the concept of “Event Dressing?”

Sounds dreadful, like schmoozing, but with high credit-card bills afterwards.

Oh certainly. Although it also often includes free booze and snacks and anonymous bathroom sex, so it all works out in the end.

I’d rather get attention by wearing a piece of distinctive jewelry than by being a grouch. Interesting accessories (including jewelry) can liven up a dull outfit. And most of us do this to make ourselves feel better, not to seduce men or to make other women green with envy.

Just one noticeable piece at a time is enough, unless you’re wearing your Ruby Parure to a Royal Wedding. A sizeable quartz ring, for example, need not be expensive–or limited to the most formal occasions.

Statement Jewelry is, in fact, the current style. Which anybody is free to ignore. But, if you like the look, why not?

Wow. That is both exquisite and sizable! It actually makes the tiara I’m wearing for my wedding look positively tiny.

It largely depends on the woman, and also the style of the jewelry. I recently met a woman that wore a ton of oversized costume jewelry. Nothing expensive, nothing precious or semi-precious. You’d think that anyone over the age of 12 wouldn’t be able to get away with that, but somehow she made it work.

Look!!

I used to sell jewelry at a mall store. When women with large hands would come in I’d say, “Oh, you’re so lucky you have the hands to pull off a large piece. When you have small hands like me, they just look silly.” When women with small hands would come in I’d say, "Oh, a large ring would dwarf your pretty hand. You can carry off the look of a really well-cut, classic single stone. " Although I was actually the store’s collection person, I was #2 in sales. :smiley:

stG

Pffft! Some people just have no sense of fashion.

Seriously, you want people to notice you, and you want to look good and make a good impression. What’s so wrong about that?

Nothing, when you look like Christina Hendricks.

I WANT that necklace. :smiley: