Women with big stones - Are big, flashy gemstones in jewelry in poor taste of not?

I’m watching QVC as I surf, and I’m stunned by the sheer size of some of the gemstones in rings, pendants, bracelets etc. they are hawking. I’ve always had the notion in the back of my mind that smaller jewels and settings were more tasteful, but they don’t seem to have any trouble selling these rocks.

Is this ignorant prejudice? Are big(er) gems usually in poor taste or not relative to smaller pieces?

Sometimes, it takes balls to be a woman. (youtube link) :slight_smile:

Generally, I’d say that ONE large stone or flashy setting is ok worn as a statement piece if the other jewellry is smaller and more subdued. Wearing a whole bunch of enormous pieces together tends toward the tacky.

Yes. Always.

Well, first of all, taste is subjective. One person’s elegant gemstone is another’s gaudy bauble. Beyond that, it depends on current fashion, the occasion, and your personal style. Earrings that were considered standard in the 80’s are generally now considered to be hideously large – but at some point that will change again. Recent instances in which large gemstones have received a lot of attention (and generated many imitations), include Angelina Jolie’s emerald earrings; Nancy Pelosi’s South Sea pearls (I own a copy); and much of the jewelry worn in the Sex and the City movies.

I’m with Nightingale: one can make a statement. More or very busy/glitzy pieces start moving toward the tacky end of the spectrum.

Both of the examples that SpoilerVirgin linked to have simple, clean lines and seem to function as the “statement” piece that Nightingale talks about. To me, they look elegant because they’re not competing with other jewelry.

Depends on the piece of jewelry itself, and where you’re wearing it.

The older I get the less I care what other people think of what I wear. If I want to wear a flashy bling piece I will.

Yeah, on the whole I’d say if you’ve got it flaunt it, but the classic advice is to look in the mirror before you leave the house and take something off. There’s nothing wrong with big stones, but they’re accessories like anything else.

Big, flashy anything tends to make me lose interest. Whether that’s a desired response is another question.

Those emerald earrings are spectacular. It’s really less about the size of the gemstone and more about what kind of setting is used. Ginormous stone with a minimal setting are always going to be better than a smaller stone in a blinged out setting (IMHO).

There’s an apocryphal story concerning a conversation between Elizabeth Taylor and Princess Margaret.

Setting: Large Party

Players: Elizabeth Taylor and Princess Margaret

Action: Elizabeth Taylor, wearing the Krupp diamond, is introduced to Princess Margaret.

Princess Margaret: (pointing to Krupp diamond) That’s so vulgar.
Elizabeth Taylor: Would you like to try it on?
Princess Margaret: Yes, please!

Princess Margaret puts on the ring and admires it.

Elizabeth Taylor: Not so vulgar now, is it?

Another vote for Nightengale’s advice.

I’ve seen just a few women who have the oomph to carry off a few large pieces.

The problem with jewelry is people don’t forget, jewelry is a means to accentuate your face. It’s not an end to itself.

If you have a big nose or big ears, you want to wear smaller jewelry to de-emphasize this. Or if they’re too small you want to go bigger.

An earring can look fine on one person and stupid on another depending on a lot of things. Size of head, shape of face, and the list goes on.

Angelina Jolie would look good in just about anything.

I think that the key is to show up the gal pals a bit, but not way over the top. So it depends on the crowd you are running around with.

I’m a big fan of a one-off cocktail ring myself (often using semi-precious stones so the value is lower). Here’s (IMO) one of the most classy women on the planet wearing one - if she’s OK with it so am I.

I think a large statement piece is lovely.

I think if you’re wearing 20 large statement pieces, it’s not clear what you’re trying to say.

I also think that one large piece is good, more than that and it’s just distracting.

I love large jewelry myself, but if I wear a big pendant I won’t wear anything else around my face aside from tiny stud earrings. Or today I’m wearing long, dangly, big earrings, so I’m not wearing a necklace at all.

I’m not even sure I’d call it tacky to wear several pieces of big jewelry (unless you’re wearing it for the sole purpose of showing off), but I don’t think it looks good, either.

I think it boils down to the size and shape of your features. I’ll wear big pendants sometimes, but that’s it. My fingers are pretty small and delicate (size 4 ring) so big rings usually look silly on me, to the point where I look like I’m playing dress up in mommy’s jewelry. And of course, you should always follow the rule of one flashy piece at a time. Same goes for clothes, really.

What is your idea of a big gemstone? I think that this istastefuland the top one in this pictureis probably not.

What exactly is the statement?