Wonder Woman cast!

I am going to give the show a chance. But I simply cannot understand why they have to diverge so widely from the original, iconic character. What is so wrong with sticking to the original concept of a character that everyone recognizes?

When was WW for Halloween, after many beers, my friends and I engaged in a discusssion wherein I expressed my disgust at my own choice of superhero costumes. Upon much alcohol-fueled analysis, I came to the conclusion that WW is the lamest superhero ever. She doesn’t even have any superpowers! She has her little lasso of truth, which is just another Batman toy. She has her invisible plane (in which the poor thing is forced to take an invisible shit, see also: Family Guy) but that’s another prop. She’s got her bullet-dodging bracelets… but wtf does she actually do, in the way of superpowers? We couldn’t come up with anything. Pretty much, her secret weapon appears to be how she fills out her costume, as far as I can tell. She follows around the Justice League and dazzles 'em with her T & A. Then I realized I couldn’t come up with a single empowered female superhero. You’ve got your Amazon warrior princesses and… is there anything else?

This year, I’m just gonna be a pirate hooker. Or something.

Serious question: do you read comic books?

Well, Wonder Woman has always had some measure of super-strength. Recently in the comics, she had Superman-level strength, and could fly on her own, without the need for an invisible plane.

Because it’s kind of confusing?

I’ll admit that I don’t know that much about Wonder Woman, but from what I gather:

She’s from a ‘lost’ tribe/island of Amazons that somehow stayed hidden to the entire world for millennia until some pilot in WW2 crashed there (easily changed to the war in Iraq or Afghanistan to modernize it, but then how does it stay hidden from sattellites?) and Diana falls in love with him so much she decides to go to the ‘world of man’ or something (real blow for feminist rights, there), sees it’s corrupt, so somehow gets an invisible jet to fight crime? And her golden lasso and armbands are ancient Greek artifacts full of magic power, or something, and then her mom is all “bitch, don’t be all up in the land of man, they suck!” and she’s all, “whatever, I do what I want!” so the mom (who is queen so Diana is a princess?) decides that she can be the official representative of the Amazon land (Themyscira?) to the world of man, or the UN, or something?

Also, anytime she is tied up or restrained (usually by a man,) she is subject to their every whim?

Basically, the original story involves Greek and/or Roman mythology, generic magic, super-science (IIRC, the land of the Amazons has super-advanced technology in addition to magic,) crappy ‘political intrigue’, and subtle, and at times, not-so-subtle, BDSM.

Personally I don’t think a ‘re-envisioning’ is in and of itself a bad thing…

I’m not saying this particular version is neccesarily better, but I’m not offended that 60 years of very muddled backstory is getting changed.

Fair question.

I read a few when I was around 10 (back in the late 70s) and never found anything that appealed to me in terms of heroes/rolemodels, so no. Not so much. I was a fan of Spiderman for a while, but I had to look far outside of the comic book realm to be able to find female characters I could relate to. I have not touched a comic book in the last 20 years.

As it happened, I was around 12 or 13 when MTV was born so I discovered a wealth of strong, smart, independent female musicians and performers that pretty much did the trick. (Thank you, Chrissie Hynde and Ann and Nancy Wilson.)

Physically, she’s one the strongest characters in the DC universe. As a fighter, there may be only a handful of her equals.

Everyone recognizes her costume but I seriously doubt that your average TV viewer knows anything else about her. Changing her origin story isn’t going to bother anybody the way playing around with Batman or Superman would.

Sorry for the double post, but yeah, there are a ton…most of whom are better than WW.

Off the top of my head:
Jean Grey/The Phoenix
Storm
Shadowcat/Kitty Pryde
Batgirl/Oracle
All the other incarnations of Batgirl
Catwoman (comic version, not shitty Halle Berry version)
Power Girl
Sue Richards
Black Widow
Black Cat
Mystique
White Queen
Poison Ivy

(Bolding mine) Which, in and of itself, isn’t necessarily a bad thing. :wink:

Right. there. with. ya.

Of course the pilot will have to deal with her origin story and show Themyscira (that’s Paradise Island to you silver age geeks), and her mother Queen Hyppolyta. Perhaps as a nod to her TV history, they could cast Carter in a recurring role as the Queen?

X-Men was way after my time (in terms of looking for fictional character role models).

Batgirl and Supergirl were sidekicks, and therefore, simply extensions of male superheroes. Fuck that.

Catwoman was pretty cool, and she was mentioned in our discussions.

I have never heard of any of the others on the list, but I think some of them are villains. Wasn’t Poison Ivy a villain? Black Widow sounds like some ball-busting, manhating villain.

Scarlett Johanson just played her in the Iron Man sequel. I don’t know that she hates men as such, but she does beat up a lot of them.

I wish that you were wrong about this, but you are likely correct – the average TV viewer likely knows very little about Wonder Woman!

I think we’re all dancing around the main issue.

Does she get tied up or not?

http://superdickery.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=34&Itemid=51

Hey, that’s funny, and I must admit, I definitely go for that sort of thing – I have a “knocked out / tied up superheroine” fetish, ever since I was a prepubescent. I would be very happy if this current incarnation would feature an occasional defeat of our heroine. (I don’t like bloody/realistic fight scenes, though.)

I’m just wondering if the show will be any good, and last more than a few episodes.
We shall see!

Oh, dear. Really not a comics reader, are you?

X-Men#1 – which introduced Jean Grey (later “Phoenix”) IIRC – was published in 1963.

If that was way after your time, I’m thinking there’d be some other concerns for you cosplaying Wonder Woman…

Nope.

Ignorance fought. :smiley:

Marry me?