Wonderful photo collection of Eskimo life a hundred years ago.

I’ve read this sentence a few times now. It’s a beauty! But I’ve no idea what the heck it actually means.

Anybody?

I use the term indigenous people. The article used the original titles of old photos taken a hundred years ago. Eskimo was the commonly accepted term at that time.

I’m well aware indigenous people faced hardships in a very challenging arctic environment. I admire their ingenuity and resilience. They have lived there for thousands of years and learned to find food and survive.

They still occasionally smiled and laughed too. As evidenced in the photos.

It’s still commonly used and accepted, but not in Canada. Can’t speak to Greenland’s usage.

I ask for your indulgence: I was very drunk when I wrote the above and thought I had deleted the last 2 paragraphs (before the last sentence which I wholeheartedly endorse). I think I had a whole new thought but…

I had great thoughts… and the train left the station.

I’ll leave it at that.

That caught your eye too, huh? That is one hell of a job. If that guy was alive today he’d make some serious coin selling those things through tourist traps. Just a magnificent work. You could haul down hundreds of dollars a pop for that kind of exquisite craftsmanship.

The other thing that caught my eye is his jacket, which is very modern for the time period. I guess we know how he afforded his sweet jacket.

What does this mean exactly? Can you please define cosmopolitanism?

That waterproof jacket is actually handmade out of local materials, probably seal (or other marine mammal) intestine.

Here’s another example: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/e9/39/b1/e939b19e70aa6b503c141a1476a2b564.jpg