Words or phrases that were that were coined by a TV show or movie

Actually, the first use of the phrase seems to have been in 1864. However, Mr. T. used it differently than previous fool-pitiers, using it to express contempt before punching the pitiful one’s lights out.

Mentions of magnets nowadays may be immediately followed by the question “how do they work?” from the Insane Clown Posse song “Miracles”. For example, Bill Nye revealing that he is an old school Juggalo:

Yes, but nobody said them the way they were said in those shows, just like Mr T and “I pity the fool…”

I use “Jak se maš?” (“How’s it goin’?”) and recognize it immediately as coming from Borat.

A good 90% of the responses in this thread are reports of catch phrases that shows have made popular. That is very different from what the OP is asking.

From the OP:

(emphasis mine)

mmm

HIMYM must be full of these. There’s an episode with the title “The Possimpible”, and “Dowisetrpla”, and many more Stinsonisms.

Well, I had never heard it before The Office made it popular, so I assumed they coined it. Thanks for the corrections.

Ok but like millions of Czech people have been using it as a phrase for as long as there’s been a Czech language. Claiming that Borat invented (the OP’s request) or even popularized (what people posting here seem to be posting) the phrase is…a stretch to say the least.

When I saw Borat’s movie I didn’t think “that’s a funny phrase he made up” I thought “he’s saying ‘what’s up?’ In Czech.

This thread is really off the rails yeesh.

I didn’t say he “made it up.” I said he used it in his movie.

I lived in Czechoslovakia for a year. I know where it came from before he used it.

To be fair, the OP him/herself confuses the issue by asking for “Words or phrases…”, then only gives and asks for words in the description. It’s virtually impossible to create a coherent phase without stringing together existing words from any language that hasn’t been used in some context previously.

So this thread really has two parts, both IMO true to the subject. Made up words and phrases that were popularized by a TV or movie.

It says it clearly in the title: “coined by a TV show or movie.” Do people not know what “coined by” means?

"coin

to invent a new word or expression, or to use one in a particular way for the first time"

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/coined

Most of the phrases mentioned fit that criteria.

Did “pay it forward” and “bucket list” originate in Pay it Forward and The Bucket List?

I just saw tonight on a TV show a mention of “pulling the curtain back” to reveal the true nature of something. That’s a direct nod to The Wizard of Oz, and it comes up quite often. True, those actual words were not spoken in the film, but I think it fits the spirit of this thread.

The typographical term “dingbat” has been around forever. But was its other meaning used before All in the Family?

“Bucket list” was in fact coined by the writer of the movie.

Yeah, I’ve heard it before Archie Bunker was calling his wife one. It’s been used to mean an empty headed or silly person since the mid-19th century.

Wendy from Peter Pan
Madison as a first name from Splash

Over here we have a lot of catchphrases and hit lines from comedy shows, some of which are just passing crazes, but some last.

You might still hear older folk saying TTFN (Tata for now), which comes from ITMA, a radio show of the 1940s.

More recent ones, off the top of my head, which seem to have not been totally forgotten:

“All the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order” (Morecambe and Wise)

“Don’t panic!”, "We’re doomed! Doomed! and “Stupid boy!” (Dad’s Army)

“Does my bum look big in this?”, “No offence” and “Oh bugger!” (The Fast Show)

“Lovely Jubbly!” (an old advertising slogan of the 50s, picked up and used in the 80s and 90s in Only Fools and Horses).

I believe the phrase was already widely used before the SNL skit, although to be honest I don’t remember exactly when the SNL skit first aired.

Back in the early 90’s there was a Fox sitcom called “Get A Life” starring Chris Elliott as a 30 year old paperboy still living with his parents.