Words with hidden meanings

A few days ago, I met someone, and they were telling me a few things. On a certain discussion, it was somehow brought up about the word/language “Latin.” He said that if you reverse “Latin,” you get, “nital.” Then move the “n” to the end and you get “italn.” After this, you take the vowels and put them before the letter you moved, which makes, “Italian.” I was thinking that its just a coincidence, so I asked him if he knew any other words, and he said the word “Roma” also had a special meaning. He said when Rome was dying, they tried to conceal their language, and so they reversed things, making “roma” mean amor Amor means love for a country. Which is why Rome is known as the city of love. I asked if he knew any other words, and he did not. Now is this little “nital” and “Amor” thing just a coincidence, or is this actually a method they used? Anyone know any other words?

I am not a linguist, but I have to think that this is pretty much a coincidence, especially considering the gymnastics one has to go through to discover the “code.”

I mean, Latin backwards, then change the position of the n, then add in the two vowels again? What exactly for?

And concealing language by writing stuff backwards? C’mon–either you or your friend is engaging in a bit of leg-pulling here.

I’m sure someone will be along shortly to provide the actual derivation of these words.

(BTW, I’m not dismissing out of hand the possibility that the words ‘Italian’ and ‘Latin’ might be somehow related, only that the particular method described in the post has nothing to do with it.)

Roma was the name of Rome and Amor the word for ‘love’ long before Rome was “dying.” Also, AFAIK, the barbarians who sacked Rome never prohibited the speaking of Latin.

How about the word “testament” which reflects back to the fact that Roman soldiers would grasp their testicles to aver to the veracity of thier oaths?