Words with most homophones?

site
sight
cite?

I’ve seen both spellings for that usage, but I’ve never seen “aire” used for the gas. So I feel justified in calling it a homophone, though I’ll admit that’s one of the stretches.

Add Yiddish “nu?” So?, What’s up?

Taught: past tense and past participle of verb to teach
Taut: tightly drawn, tense
Tort: actionable civil wrong
Torte: type of cake

tot: a small child

Perhaps in your neck of the woods. Here ‘tot’ is not homophonic with the other four words. Its vowel is much shorter.

or a small 'tater.
How about

bear - the animal
bear - change direction
bare - exposed, uncovered

to
two
too

flu
flue
flew

poor
pour
paw (British English)

If we are, head for the hills, because I’ve been reading Finnegans Wake for 30 years. I think I could dig up a few…:wink:

This is where non-rhotic dialects have an advantage. In my (rhotic) dialect, the first two are homophones and the last two are, but the two pairs are pronounced differently. And “tot” is pronounced differently yet.

So you guys learn to pronounce your bloody Rs and we be having this nonsense :wink:

Few. :smiley:

You forgot aj - Swedish for ‘ouch’.

No love for

There
Their
They’re?

Somehow the word won’t got dropped out of this sentence. Unfortunate.

Pin (as in safety pin)
Pin (as in pin your opponent)
Pen (as in ball point)
Pen (as in pig)
Penn (as in Penn Jillette)
Penn (as in Penn Station)
PIN (as in the number you use at the ATM)

Are we counting words with the same spelling but separate origins as “homophones”?

And in my dialect, “pen” and “pin” are completely different. And Penn Jillette and Penn Station probably have a common origin, anyway (Station certainly, and Jillette probably, ultimately deriving from the last name Penn).

Pin and pen are only homophones if you’re from New Zealand or someplace else that butchers the language. They also say "pincil’ for pencil, “did” for dead, etc.

Pin-pen merger map.

I admit I had no idea that such a map existed, or that anyone is keeping track of something like that. FWIW, I’m from an area outside where pin and pen are pronounced the same, although I still pronounce them the same.

your
you’re
yore

sore
soar
saw (past of see)
saw (tool for cutting)
saw (proverb)