World Golf Championship Scoring

Can someone explain how the scoring work in match play golf? When I read the morning paper, I’m seeing scores such as 2&1, 3&2, 1-up, 20 holes, etc.

I’m sure this is a very basic question that I could answer myself by just watching an hour of match play golf, but I’m at work all day so that’s not possible. Presently, I have no way of knowing whether the margin of victory was slim or if one player demolished the other.

Anyone care to explain? Thanks!!!

In Match Play the hole is over when one of two things happen:

1. One player (A) completes the hole in less strokes than the other player. If losing player (B) still has not completed the hole (and has no chance of completing the hole in the same amount of stokes) the player picks up the ball and precedes to the next hole.

2. Both players finish the hole in the same amount of stokes. This is called Halving the hole.

In senario #1 the winning player is awarded the hole. If this was hole 1 of the match the score would read:

Player A: 1 Up & 17
Player B: 1 Down & 17

The 17 indicates that there are 17 holes remaining.

In senario #2 (again after hole #1) the score would read

Player A
All Square & 17
Player B

Mathmatically a match play must go at least 10 holes (barring a forfit or disqualification etc). If player A wins every hole when they finish hole 10 he would be 10 up & 8. It would be impossible for player B to catch him. The match would be over and player A advances.

The examples you give are the final scores. In each example the winning players were 2 up & 1 hole to play, 3 up & 2 to play, and in the last example the players were All Square after 18 and needed to play 2 more holes (just like a playoff) before one player won.

Hope this makes sense.

To add to what NYR407 wrote, Darren Clarke absolutely crushed DLIII, having won 7 holes with 6 to play (7&6). Same for Furyk, who beat Lowery 6&5. Wheras Haas squeaked by Maruyama 1 up.

Fantastic explanations, guys! Thanks!

And just to complete things, if player A wins the first nine holes and the two of them tie the 10th, then A wins 9 up and 8 to play, or 9&8.

The final is 36 holes, so someone could potentially lose 19 & 17.

It was recently pointed out to me that you can actually lose a match 11 & 9. You can be down more holes than you’ve played!

See this page, question 5.

Yeah, yeah I knew that. Sure I did. That was covered in “etc” :wink:

Ok, thanks for the good piece of trivia. At least the pros didn’t know that about that either.