World Idol

I think it might have the Canadian feed (it was on New Years Day at 9 PM, EST), because I remember the MCs always mentioning Kelly as the favourite and always analyzing the votes in regard to her, but I don’t recall hearing any of her comments regarding the other idols.

For Americans who have never seen it, Welcome To Eurovison!

Eurovison is a show that has been around in Europe for years…ABBA became famous from that show, and Celine Dion won once as a singer from Switzerland!

I always wondered when the Eurovision concept would hit the US, and now it has.

Kelly should have been smiling and been the first to jump up and congratulate the dude from Norway. She came across as a bitter bitch. Too bad…for a second place winner, she could have sold a lot of albums.

Oh well…talent doesn’t necessarily equal class.

Kelly was hilarious, giving off this whole ‘Oh gosh, really?’ Mandy Moore-ish vibe whenever she was given a compliment (which was a lot- and I think the Canadian judge was right. Who is she in a pile of divas without a good songwriter?) Until, that is, she began to lose. It was like, ‘Oh guys, do you really think I’m that good? I don’t know. I’m just doing what I love and I guess if that sells albums I’ll- Hey! What the frick? Why are y’all voting for the retarded cabbage patch kid?’
For the record, I was 99% Kurt would win:
He gave the best performance
He gave the last performance, so it stuck in people’s minds and those who tuned in late could still catch him
Ugly but harmless- looking, and watching judges call him ugly to his face just made people want to vote for him more
Used to be a plumber, he just looks happy to be there!
And those hobbit references didn’t hurt

And reading this thread it seems the 'mericans don’t understand one important point of international talent shows; the country you come from has waaay more impact than what you look like or how good a singer you are!

Certainly true for Eurovision, and it may explain something about the Pan-Arab voting (although I’m not sure what). I’m also not quite sure why political considerations would put Norway on top everywhere except the Middle East, though.

That being said, Kurt put in an excellent performance while Kelly made the performance more about her than about the song. That’s always a big turn-off for me. Besides, second is hardly anything to sneeze at.