World Trade Center Memories

The World Trade Towers are Gone!

I know that’s sort of an obvious statement, but it’s just hitting me that the Twin Towers, where I worked for two years and in whose shadows I spent virtually all of the remainder of my working life to date, are gone.

I have a vague memory as a young child of hearing that there was a new tallest building in the world, eclipsing the Empire State Building. Later I visited the observation deck, and was amazed to be standing outside 110 stories in the air.

A few years after that, one of my great aunts had recovered from a serious illness, and the whole family had a party at Windows on the World to celebrate. I recall that being the first place I ever encountered men’s room attendants, and I remember my dad handing me a quarter to give to the guy after he handed my towel.

When I was a senior in college, I interviewed for jobs at accounting firms, including Deloitte, Haskins & Sells (now Deloitte & Touche) at the World Trade Center. The partner I interviewed with took me to lunch just a few floors up at Windows on the World.

I took the job with Deloitte in the fall of 1989, and for two years I worked on the 94th Floor of One World Trade Center (the north tower, one with the antenna). My former floor was approximately where the first plane crashed this morning.

When it was windy, the building would gently sway, and your coffee would slosh back and forth in your cup (and the water in the toilets would slosh back and forth, too). Sometimes office doors would swing open and shut, as if propelled by ghosts.

I remember being in endless boring meetings and seminars, and watching plastic bags float around in the updrafts, 94 stories above the ground. Sometimes at sunset, there would be an eerie purple light that came through the windows. When the ground was covered by low clouds, you could look out above the cloud bank and see a bright field of white all around the building, with the only thing visible above the tufts the spire of the Empire State Building to the north.

One summer, there was a fleet of small sailboats with that used to race around the harbor with pink spinnakers. I’m convinced that they did so just to torment me, trapped in a glass box 1200 feet in the sky, rather than out sailing in the sun.

One time there was a power failure downtown, and we had to evacuate the building. I walked down from the 94th floor to the 78th floor, where I caught an elevator running on emergency power the rest of the way down.

I was in law school when the '93 bombing took place. I went to a friend’s apartment and spent the day staring at the television. Fortunately, there was minimal loss of life, and everyone from my old firm got out.

After law school I worked at a law firm located on Wall Street, just a few blocks from the Trade Center. I’m now working at a firm on Maiden Lane, also a few blocks from the Trade Center. I was there last Friday, sitting in the plaza reading a book at lunch.

The Trade Center complex was recently leased from the Port Authority of New York & New Jersey to private interests. My firm represented one of the lenders in the deal, and for several weeks this summer a big chunk of my department was running around working on the World Trade Center deal. There was great relief when the deal actually closed.

Just a few days ago I was exchanging e-mails with vix, talking about possibly seeing some free dance shows that were scheduled there for the evenings this week. I guess we be going. <sigh>

Goodbye Twin Towers, my old friends.

I used to work for a company on Broad Street, right next to the stock exchange. During the last year that I worked for this company, we had our holiday party at the top of one of the towers. It was gorgeous. We had such incredible fun partying at the top of the WTC.

I’ve also given several speeches and seminars in the WTC Marriott. When the news showed video of the covered elevated walkway that extends over the street right next to the Marriott, I couldn’t believe it. Back in April, I had given a talk at a three-day seminar at the WTC Marriott. I just can’t believe the whole thing is completely gone.

<ranging off-topic>
I’m still partially in a state of shock. I feel guilty lamenting the loss of the WTC when so many people have died. I’m not looking forward to going to work tomorrow. That will probably be when I’ll find out about business associates and relatives of co-workers who were killed in the tragedy. And I’m almost afraid to answer the phone here - I don’t want a phone call to be that one from a friend or relative informing me of the death of someone I know who’s not yet accounted for.
</off topic>

The Spider-Man Trailer had that helicopter stuck in a web tied between the two towers. I hope that isn’t actually in the movie; they’ll have to re-edit.

I just commented to my SO that I’m having a hard time grasping the fact that these buildings are gone. Buildings that I have been in about 10 times as a tourist. I always made it a point to take the trip up to the observation deck every time I visited New York.

My fondest memory of the World Trade Center is being on the inside observation deck about 9:00 p.m. as a thunderstorm rolled in across midtown Manhattan. It was so incredible sitting there watching the lightning from above the storm.

My thoughts and prayers are with everyone affected by this tragedy.

I said this to my roommate in the same tone of voice not ten mintes ago.

I’ve never really even been to New York City, but I’ve flown into and out of Newark and LaGuardia a dozen times. Every time as we flew over Manhattan I always looked out the window to marvel at the twin towers. And now they’re just not friggin’ there. Unbelievable.

Not only were they architectual wonders, but just such icons as well. I have had the final scenes of King Kong from '76 going through my mind all day.

My husband called me from work. He and his co-workers were on the roof on Flatbush Ave watching. I mentioned that we could see them from our livingroom window too. He said “Not any more.”

I walked from the LIRR and I kept looking. Everybody did. It was a good 5 hours after the collapse. Everyone kept looking at the spot it was supposed to be. Stopping. Total stunned disbelief.

It does seem strange to mourn a building, but WTC was always there, like the person you see everyday in the train. You don’t know his name, but you nod and say good morning.

Surreal. There seemed so permenant.

In May, I had the great fortune to be able to visit New York. It was one the most wonderful place I have ever seen in my life. I’ve done nothing but crow about it since I returned. Remember the show “That Girl”, with Marlo Thomas? That was me, only ten times more hick and city-struck. I freakin’ LOVED it.

I remember walking past the WTC many times during that short stay. I remember looking out from the top of the Empire State Building at its taller brothers, thinking over and over, This IS as good as it gets!

I have pictures of those towers, pictures now that mean more to me than I ever imagined they would.

I remember seeing zillions of people (hey, I’m from Alabama; I was astonished at how many people there were!) going in and out of those buildings at all hours, it seemed. I couldn’t (and still can’t) grasp just how huge that place was.

Was. I am still having a hard time with that word.

Was. I bet I have typed over “is” a thousand times today.

Was. Seems like now everything was.

I, too, kept expecting King Kong to climb up and grab the planes out of the sky today, every time I saw the news clips. (I even mentioned the feeling to co-workers and got rolled eyes. :frowning: ) In fact, the whole horrible day I felt like I’d been trapped in a movie scene.

For the first time in my life, I am afraid on my own American soil. Someone fucked with the center of the world, New York City, and it’s just knocked my equilibrium right off the scales.

I will go back to New York one day. But it won’t be the same. Nothing will ever be the same again. My Towers won’t be there…even if they’re rebuilt. It just won’t be the same. I don’t mind change, but Christ…this is taking things a bit far.

Where in hell is King Kong when you really need him?

I lived in Greenpoint (Brooklyn, just across the East River) at the time of the 1993 explosion. I remember sitting on our roof drinking beer and watching the smoke rising from the Towers.

I don’t think I could do that this time. I’d be too horrified.

Oh I disagree. I think it would be an nice final tribute. I’m really going to miss those towers. The center was a beautiful piece of architecture, and an enduring symbol of New York (and American capitalist pigs). It still doesn’t seem real that they’re gone. I’m at a loss.

Thank God I didn’t know anybody who died there today. One thing I’ve always hated about my age group is that “we” (collectively, not me personally) have always whined and lamented that we didn’t have any EVENTS to define our generation. Sure we grew up with the threat of global thermonuclear war (Hello Dr. Falken, would you like to play a game?), but no Woodstock or Pearl Harbor or presidential assassination. Sure, Reagan got shot, but he survived, and that emergency wasn’t our own: we were too young. The Challenger was pretty emotional, but only seven people died. Tragic, but not earth-shattering on the grand scale.

Well now we have our very own emergency: The worst disaster on our soil ever. Not since Pearl Harbor, which was a military strike on a military target, and with a far smaller death toll, I’m sure. Ever. In terms of sheer horror, and in terms of emotional attachment. You guys can have it back now, I didn’t want it.

:frowning: NYC doesn’t look right without them. It looks broken.

For me, there’s the obvious memory first-- just the fabled New York skyline, which I’d see every time I took a bus upstate to see my family, gone… gone as we knew it, anyway.

And on the heels of that thought, there’s this one, which I hope will strike no one as insensitive because I certainly don’t mean it to be: The Simpsons. The episode in New York. It’s one of my favorites; maybe it’s just me but I always saw it as an affectionate riff on us and our city. Homer and his car, the Trade Tower guys arguing, “Yous guys shut up down dere!”

It occurs to me that maybe they won’t show that one anymore. In the grand scheme of things, one episode of a cartoon is nothing major to lose, but what was once a favorite episode is now a reminder of all this death and destruction…

Exactly.

My kids have these books that we keep track of significant events in. My daughter is 14, my son, 8. The Significant World Events sections are getting depressing.

I’ve been curious about this all day: I know the towers housed many offices, restaurants, hotels, etc. Did anyone actually LIVE there?

I’ve been to NYC about 10 times in the last year or so…

Last time I flew in, it was from Dulles on a small jet at night… And we flew the length of Manhattan - passed the WTC, the Empire State Building, Times Square, and Central Park… It was absolutely breathtaking…

One of the times I was there, I stayed at the Marriott and really had a chance to enjoy the WTC… I shopped at bookstores in the mall in the basement, bought Krispy Kreme doughnuts on the street level, and grabbed the subway there countless times…

I have to go to NYC in a few weeks, and am having a hard time believing this amazing symbol of New York won’t be there…

My heart goes out to all those hurt or killed today.

<sigh>

SFCanadian

Nobody lived in the World Trade Center complex itself, however there was a great deal of residential development surrounding it. Battery Park City is just across West Street from the Trade Center, and Tribeca is just north of it. In addition, a number of buildings in the financial district proper (East and South of the Trade Center) have been recently converted into residential use.

When I was in high school the band took a trip to New York. Of course, we stopped off at the World Trade Center and had lunch on the top floor of one of the buildings. I remember standing there, looking out the windows and thinking that this was entirely too high up for a building to be.

They had a tour which would let you go up on to the roof of the building and I was too chicken to. The damn thing swayed too much for me to even think about going on the roof! I wish I had now that they’re gone.

My most vivid memory, and the event that scared me at the time was walking up to one of the railings which lined the windows of the observation deck and looking down. Not at the street below (I did that, too.), but at the gap between the floor and the window. I swear I could see all the way down to the street level! Gave me the creeps!

They should rebuild 'em. New York just won’t be the same without them, and there will be an emptiness in all of us who saw them if they’re not replaced. I know that they won’t be the same buildings, but we need something there to remind us of how great they were.

I went to NYU, and we had a great view of the WTC from my dorm room. One night we were sitting around, and someone mentioned that it was sad that we don’t give buildings nicknames very much anymore, a la Big Ben in London. (Yes, I know it’s the bell, but that’s not the point). Someone else said “Well what do you want to call the WTC? Tony and Denise?” For years, we called the towers Tony and Denise (Tony had the antenna, Denise had the observation deck).

Today, I saw the first building collapse while I was standing on LaGuardia Place at Washington Square Park – formerly a picture postcard view. People were running and crying, and at the same time, I heard people asking “Did the tower just fall down?” We had obviously just seen it happen before our eyes, but it seemed, in some bizarre way, that surely there was some mistake.

I don’t know when I will be able to look at the NY skyline again and think it looks “normal.”

I agree it seems almost odd to focus so much on the buildings when there is such a tragic loss of life, but in a way, the building itself is wrapped up part and parcel with the horror that we have seen today.

Farewell, Tony and Denise.

I’ve never even been to New York.

Still, I just can’t quite believe that the twin towers are gone. As I watched the news last night, I kept saying “They f–king aren’t f–king THERE any more”

I hope when we’re done scraping all the s**t off the fan that the powers-that-be decide to build a new one. And let’s get it right this time and make it taller than the damn Sears Tower!

I was born and raised in Brooklyn.

I went to the WTC observation deck at least once a year as a child, either with school or summer camp. I’ve been there many times.

A couple of years ago I took a helicopter ride around NYC. There had been a helicopter crash the day before, and we went because we figured that 2 copters wouldn’t crash in a row. That seems stupid now. Anyway, apparently most people didn’t want to take helicopter rides that day, there were only me and the ex and two tourists from Holland. They had paid for the longest trip, we had paid just to go around The Statue of Liberty. The helicopter guys decided to just let us all go together, since there wasn’t much business anyway.
One of the most striking parts of the trip was going around the Statue of Liberty, and back towards the Towers. I have some amazing pictures of them.

I can’t believe they’re gone.

My mom works for Chase. She works (worked… I keep doing that :() there often. She wasn’t there yesterday. She was in downtown Brooklyn.
My best friend’s father works there. He was home sick yesterday.
My cousin was on the 32nd floor of Tower 2. He’s alive, and last I heard, in a hospital somewhere.
My friend Melissa worked there too. I don’t know which floor or tower, but she’s home. She said it was like "being trapped in Independence Day’.

I can’t believe this happened.

Rose

Oh, and one more thing.

The ex that I took the helicopter ride with is NYPD. His beat was Battery City Park. If he was there yesterday, he would have been one of the first to respond.

I hope he’s ok too.

Rose