World's Most Beatiful Castles

Link

I only skimmed the first 15 pics. #3 and #4 have some very cool stone entryway bridges. #11 was pretty cool too, But holy shit, pic #8 is just about the coolest castle I could dream of.:cool:

Awesome! I liked Bran Castle best, I think, because of all the turrets.

I didn’t know so many castles had survived, in such (apparently) good condition. I guess they were built to last in those days. :slight_smile:

#5 and 6, Eilean Donan, belongs to my clan. The family has been connected to the area since the 1300’s and and the castle stood empty for a few centuries after the Jacobite rebellion until it was purchased by John MacCrae in the early 1900’s and is now the seat of the clan. I would love to visit it some day.

I’m glad Bamburgh was number one. It really is spectacular (in fact, IMO, the coast line around that part of the UK is the most impressive in the country). Better pictures here and here.

The second picture from Bamburgh Castle shows a beautiful suit of 17th century cuirassier’s armour.

No Alhambra? Hmph.

I think that Hohenzollern in Baden-Württemberg, at least the exterior, belongs on that list.

Not surprising that Japanese castles get left off the list.

That’s probably because of all the paper doors, windows, walls and stuff. A proper castle needs stone construction to withstand a good siege!

:wink:

Yeah, where’s Himeji Castle?

A lot are repeated, but not all. And I’m glad I wasn’t the first one to say “where’s the Alhambra?”

You should see the interior. Throne room. Or “The Grotto” at one of his many other castles.

Technically it’s not a castle- it’s a palace. It was built centuries after castles were used as forts and was literally designed to look like a storybook castle.

But look at the spin-off technology – origami!

Actually, Japanese castles are made of stone bases but wood walls, The moats and outer walls had to keep the invaders out, once the enemy got close enough to burn the castle, it was toast, as it were.

Castle Dracula
http://www.romania100hotels.com/castles/bran/bran-castle.jpg
Castle Frankenstein

Displayed without judgement

My favorite is the Hirosakicastle, and don’t miss going during the Neputa Matsuri Festival if you have a chance.

The Krak des Chevaliers in Syria may not be one of the most beautiful castles, per se, but it’s certainly one of the most formidable-looking.

I’ve been to Eilean Donan and will be going back next year. The thing that is surprising is how small it is.

I presume that’s because it’s classed as a palace not a castle. Any ideas why? It does have a citadel, doesn’t it?

And I think Kronberg looks more like a palace than a castle. Would have liked to have seen Dunnotar there.

I’ve only been to a couple of “proper” castles, Conwy and Caernarfon. My brother and I had Conwy to ourselves on a wet Sunday afternoon, it was fantastic.

My favorite American “castle” is Scotty’s.