[QUOTE=Plan B]
That’s what John Kerry said in 2004, but George Will disagrees. In today’s column Will points out that:
“Since the Bush tax cuts went into effect in 2003, the economic growth rate (3.5 percent) has been better than the average for the 1980s (3.1) and '90s (3.3) . Today’s unemployment rate (4.6 percent) is lower than the average for the '90s (5.8) - lower, in fact, than the average for the last 40 years (6.0).”
And that’s after the 9/11 trillion dollar hit and the recession which started with the internet bubble bursting in 2000.
I’m inclined to agree with Will on this.
[/QUOTE]
I’m really sick and tired of the Republicans spouting this stuff to try to counter the fact that most people in the country don’t think the economy is so hot, and for good reason. “Worst since Hoover” is clearly hyperbole, since the Depression didn’t end in early 1933.
Unemployment may or may not actually be lower - we don’t know how many are out of the job market. Plus there is a lot of underemployment, as people who have been laid off have only found lower paying jobs. However, wages have gone nowhere for the past six years, while productivity has improved and profits have dramatically improved. Worse, the Republicans do not seem to think this is a problem - they only think increasing the minimum wage is a problem.
If you are well off, if you make money from dividends or from the market, if you have a rare skill that is in demand, then you’re in good shape. If you work for a living, not so much.
I’m in good shape personally, but I would love to see more people in good shape. I think the economy would be on a firmer footing, which would be good for everyone.
I read an interesting column, predicting that if the Democrats take over Congress they will pass bills like a reasonable minimum wage hike, allowing the government to negotiate for better drug prices, for funding stem cell research etc. All stuff Republicans hate and the people love. The Republicans will either have to support this stuff or give ammunition for the Dems for the 2008 campaign. It will be fun, and even better for the country than investigations.