Worst guitar players

[Moderating]

While clearly subjective, and much more mild than some, “you have ears that don’t work” is still an insult. Do not insult other posters outside of the Pit.

Agreed. The last tune I was trying to learn was “Something So Right”, which ultimately required more skill than my old fingers were capable of to play it smoothly.

This. I really have no idea if Captain Sensible, Dee Radkey, or Nina Diaz are good technically, but what they do with their guitars sure does have a strong positive effect on me.

Mine wasn’t. I think, as a guitarist, he’s pretty mediocre. But what he does do right is write music that fits the songs they want to play.

Like I say about Neil Young - he’s a crappy singer, but he writes songs that fit his voice, so they work. Over the years we’ve all made fun of [cracking voice] Ne-eal [cv]'s singing, but I still like his albums.

My nomination was also kinda tongue-in-cheek. Tom Morello is another example, don’t get me wrong, he’s a great guitar player but there times when he’s just playing with some funky effects.

Neil Young is fantastic guitar player but he is modest.

There’s a famous story about the recording of the single “Tears are Not Enough” by Northern Lights (Canadian Band Aid)

Acknowledged. To be honest, I was more nervous about getting cited for the next sentence, a subtle version of “You are a short attention span dumbass.”

I have never met anyone who was a truly passionate music lover, either as simply a devoted aficionado or a professional performer who did not acknowledge (even if grudgingly) what an amazingly talented guitarist Jerry Garcia was, including those who loathed his original Grateful Dead material.

Simply put, like him or not, Jerry Garcia was simply a true guitar virtuoso, and by all accounts, a troubled, complex and deeply flawed human being.

The guitarist for Twisted Sister on We’re Not Gonna Take It.

His solo sounds like a pocket radio turned up loud through corroded ear buds. Then, for variety, he overdubs a harmony, or relies on the roadie to play it offstage.

John Lennon, one of the most influential musicians of all time, couldn’t play guitar for shit. Ok, he wasn’t that bad - he had those weird rhythm’s mastered - but once he wandered downed the neck, he was god-awful.

Yeah, Twisted Sister’s guitar players are not great. That band begins and ends with Dee Snider. If anything, Snider’s work outside of Twisted Sister has been better than Twisted Sister.

The worst guitar players I ever heard were whoever Colonel Tom Parker hired to play the guitars on Elvis Presley’s albums. Parker was notorious for been cheap and hired who worked for the least amount of money not how talented they were. Luckily Elvis is a powerful enough singer to overcome the crappy instrumentals on his albums.

Tim Minchin fan, huh? There’s room for both.

I love Bily Idol. I’ve seen him play live a dozen times. That being said, he can’t play guitar for shit. He’ll bring one out and pick it for a bar or two, then seem to forget about it, sling it beind him and keep singing. You’d think that being flanked by Steve Stevens on one side and Billy Morrison on the other, some skills might have rubbed off over the years. Guess not.

Slash.

I don’t like Paul Simon, though he is talented and pretty good guitar player.

As a guitarist, Bowie looked great holding one. That said, he knew how to hire 'em.

Dave Hill from Slade seems marginal at best.

Hammet, hands down. And of drummers, Larch Ulrich.

Perfect example is the Let’s Dance video, playing with white gloves on :smiley: when it was really Stevie Ray Vaughn on the studio track.

Wow. Just wow.

Now, for taste there’s no accounting, of course. And you’re more than entitled to yours. But, man, that’s the first time I’ve heard anyone disrespect Scotty Moore. He played like a madman.