Worst guitar players

I wouldn’t have said he was terrible, but I don’t think *any *of the Beatles were great instrumentalists, as far as either their technical prowess (i.e., chops) or their ability to improvise musically interesting lines. The only really notable instrumental solo I can think of on a Beatles album was played by Eric Clapton. Solos were just not what they were about. Once they were past their initial “yeah yeah yeah” stage, their strength was in the sheer power of expressiveness and ability to build textures and soundscapes, and project feeling in their playing. With many groups, even very popular and accomplished ones, you listen to their songs and they all seem like variations on one song: “OK here’s their song; here’s their song with different chords; here’s their song with a little different tempo; here’s their song with a different beat” but with the Beatles every day was a new day.

Did you ever listen to the original soundtrack of Jim Jarmush’ “Dead Man” by Neil Young? If that is not great I don’t know what is. But if I have to nominate a terrible guitarrist and singer who I still love to hear it is Lou Reed.

He even names the tracks Guitar Solo No. 1, Guitar Solo No. 2., and so on. If you skip the tracks with Johnny Depp mumbling, that’s a wonderful album.

I’d have to say that’s a requirement for any great album.

Or even good one, really.

A few years ago, I would have agreed with you. But I started listening to what Paul was doing with that bass of his.

Knocked me out, and I could see how Phil Lesh (of the Grateful Dead) and Jack Casady (of the Jefferson Airplane) — highly respected and revolutionary bassists — were possibly influenced.

Yeah, my head was left scratching after that one, too. Besides Scotty Moore being an American guitar legend, Elvis’s backup musicians always sounded tight and grooving to me. I’ve never noticed anything I would consider sub-par musicianship in any of his band or session musicians.

I love Elvis and his music, especially his early stuff. But I have to agree that as a guitar player Scotty was just barely able to hold his own. Honestly he just wasn’t that great. I love that sound, I do. But compared to almost any other decent guitar player of the day he was lacking.

Neil Young: I don’t how technically proficient he is but, damn, I love that sound. Listen to Hurricane.

Maybe i have to be more of a guitar player, I guess, but as a sometimes-musician in general, I’ve never heard anything from his playing that would make me think he’s anything but a solid player.

Bachman knows a lot. There’s a certain kind of band where you’d want him involved, for his contributions of knowledge and maybe judgment. But he’s not a front man. (See what I did there :)) Bands where Bachman is the star, don’t turn out well. Bands where he’s making stuff happen but his playing is in the background, have a better chance.

Not Slash. Slash is a great guitarist. One of my favorites. He’s not a shredder, but his musical taste is fantastic and his solos incredibly expressive.

I didn’t care for anything that BTO did but Randy did some very tasty stuff with the Guess Who.

Hey, I didn’t say he was a crappy guitar player; he did:

FWIW, I’ve read other interviews where he says the same thing. In one of them he said that he couldn’t solo to save his life; all he could do was arpeggiate the chords.

… where Burton Cummings was in the limelight, and after he left things just weren’t the same. That’s what I meant.

Paul McCartney is widely regarded as a virtuoso bass player, especially in inventiveness and originality (a much rarer gift than chops, which are simply a matter of practice)

Yeah, Slash seriously shouldn’t be in this discussion. He’s readily identifiable sound-wise, plays great solos, has lived the life and chased the dragon. I don’t know what else he needs to do after selling his soul for all that to prove to anybody that he’s not a legendary rock guitarist.

???

Exactly!
I’m not a huge GNR fan but Slash is one of the greatest guitar players…ever! He’s listed in most critics’ top 20 (even top ten for some) and for good reason. His riffs, hooks, and solos are both unique and incredibly catchy. He also has a distinct sound and style and can play with anybody.

Other nominations?
As mentioned …Jay Jay French & Eddie “Fingers” from Twisted Sister
Sylvain Sylvain & Johnny Thunders from the New York Dolls

Anyone playing next to Stephen Stills is going to think that.

Thanks for that, I’ll now go back and listen to several Beatles albums with a new ear. (BTW I didn’t mean to suggest that a good player is all about chops.)

I seem to recall that when the Beatles’ albums were first re-released on CD, a lot of people started having new appreciation for McCartney as a bass player.

If there is any justice, this is the post that got this guy banned.:stuck_out_tongue: