Would a German Mennonite from Mexico be considered Hispanic in the US?

Would/could a German Mennonite from Mexico be considered Hispanic in the US? Officially anyway. They have Mexican citizenship and speak Spanish but are Anglo. Would/could children born to them in this country be considered Hispanic?

I work with a Cardiologist who’s family is clearly of Asian descent, but was born and raised in Mexico. He only speaks Spanish and English, and considers himself Hispanic, even though he looks Chinese.

Very funny to see people meeting him for the first time. Here is this very Asian looking man with a strong Hispanic accent (he plays it up a bit to mess with people). People usually stutter around trying to figure out why he doesn’t sound like he looks. Quite funny.

Anyway, I would guess that your country of origin determines your ethnicity. African Americans are Americans, not African. Wouldn’t think it matters if you don’t look or sound like the majority of others in that country.

At least it shouldn’t matter.

TL

My wife is the daughter of German Mennonite Mexicans, she was born in Canada, and doesn’t consider herself, or her family, Hispanic. If that means anything.

That’s not an easy question to answer, and you’ll never get everyone to agree one way or another. On one side of the argument you have those who take the word Hispanic literally, and claim it refers to anyone from a Spanish-speaking country. On the other side, however, are those who define Hispanic as ethnically Mestizo. I knew a guy in high school who qualified for (and won) a “Hispanic” scholarship due to the fact that his mother was Mexican, but pretty much refrained from telling anyone about it due to the fact that he got his lilly-white complexion from his father’s side of the family.

“Officially” in the U.S., the person defines his/her own ethnicity. Your German Mennonite friends could list themselves as Native American as long as there’s no fraud or intent to deceive.

Which reminds me of the story about how Mrs. Kunilou got listed as “white”. . .

As said, in the US, people sort of self-identify. It kind of puzzles Latin Americans (As my ex, when asked her race on the marriage application.)

Not that it adds much to the question, but Mennonites are all over Latin America, in the Gran Chaco, in Belize, some in Brazil. It is a surprise the first time you run into them.

Also not adding much to the question, my first Spanish professor was Dr. McGregor O’Brian. He was a Peruvian of course.