Would a tapeworm show up on an abdominal CT?

I was going to explain, but it’s a simple enough question. Assuming a normal abdominal CT with contrasting.

Mayo clinic link: you’ve been warned TMI

According to the link above CT scans are ordered if they think the tapeworm might have migrated, so I’m sure they could see them in the abdomen as well. It might be fairly subtle though, unless you were looking for them. MRI’s and Ultrasounds are used, too.

IANARadiologist or anything remotely like that.

Would it be something really obvious, or would they specifically have to be looking for it to catch it? The reason I ask is that I’ve become mostly irrationally paranoid about parasites lately, and I had Mysterious Abdominal Pain of Doom a while ago that I got a CT scan for, and I’m wondering if that would’ve turned up then.

Not if it shows up at the same radiodensity of the tissue surrounding it. If it does not, or if it is placed in an abnormal place in relationship to the tissue around it, the CT may pick it up.

That is probably why they say it is useful if it has migrated from the digestive tract. CT (and radiographs) will not distinguish stuff of soft tissue opacity inside soft tissue opacity (the way it works). Of course, there are other places in the abdomen a worm could have migrated, and if it moved to another place, even if it doesn’t look any different (in shade) than other structures, its location would tell the radiologist something is going on (if it looks like abnormal tissue, the radiologist would have catch it).

MRI and ultrasound would be able to distinguish it in the digestive tract because of the different way they work compared with CT and radiographs. MRIs and ultrasounds are better at finding differences and more detail depictions of soft tissue organs than CT and radiographs.