Would bank have copy of check from 22 years ago?

I had no clue about it at the time but I was supposed to get a share of an estate 22 years ago. Although I have no memory of it now, apparently I inquired about it 10 years ago and was provided with a copy of the front of the check and got no answer when I asked about the back of the check.

It’s profoundly disturbing to me that memory is lacking, but my own email archive confirms seeing a copy of the front of the check and inquiring about the backside. I don’t remember getting a check or inquiring about it. The amount in question is $16,700, which I should remember receiving.

Can I force a bank to disgorge a copy of a check which is 22 years old?

They don’t keep the records that long.

states do have an ‘unclaimed property’ office. If the bank tried to disburse the funds to you and it didn’t happen, they may be required to send it to the state where records are kept for the unclaimed property.

google your state ‘unclaimed property’ and see if a search on your name pops something up.

Most businesses destroy paperwork like that after 7* years. Cuts down on storage and eliminates the time consuming problems of being ordered by a court to produce such documents and papers.

Some paperwork only needs to be kept 3 years and some companies have it figured out to shred the 3 year paperwork on its cycle and the 7* year paperwork on its own cycle.

• I’m very possibly wrong about the 7 year bit, I’m going from memory on this one.

For what it’s worth, I recall seven years myself.

It sounds like the OP got proof they recieved the inheritance (the front of a check made out to them) but suspect fraud (a forged endorsement, hence the need for the back).

I ran a bank’s deposit operations dept. We kept images for 7 years on microfiche until the late 00s, when we were among the last to switch to digital imaging. Now images are stored on servers in two remote locations and purged by day monthly.

I doubt anyone would still have an image that old and even if by some fluke they did, they wouldn’t even look if they were asked because they aren’t legally required.

Assuming the estate went through probate, I would think the court records still exist in whatever county is was handled in. That should contain some proof of what was (supposedly) paid to you.

Thanks for the replies. You guys are the best.

Found $17 and change at the state unclaimed property website, so it could be worse. Yes, I suspect fraud. The mind can play strange tricks, I can imagine that something involving the person from whose estate the money came might have been repressed by me. I can’t imagine that the wife would have forgotten about such a large amount! Anyway it looks like the answer is lost in the fog of time. I’ll check at the county probate office though.