Would it be legal for an American company to hire only Non-Americans?

Can you tell I just finished watching “Charlie And The Chocolate Factory”? :smiley:

It would be illegal to discriminate on the basis of national origin, so yes, if qualified Americans were turned down.

I have heard anecdotally that a Chinese restaurant wishing to hire only Chinese people can advertise for people who speak fluent Chinese as a bona fide job requirement, thus sidestepping the national origin issue.

Well, although he’s a British rather than an American employer, I think the bigger legal problem for Willy Wonka would be using illegal immigrants {he smuggled the Oompa-Loompas over in a packing crate with holes drilled for air} as virtual slave labour {he pays them only in cacao beans}. Quite possibly there are health and safety issues involved in using a tribe of midgets clad only in deerskins and leaves in the manufacture and preparation of foodstuffs, too. And let’s not even get into the lawsuits that the parents of Augustus Gloop, Violet Beauregarde, Mike Teavee and Veruca Salt could bring for the injuries and emotional suffering sustained by their children in the course of their inadequately supervised tour of a wildly unsafe factory. Frankly, Wonka’s factory is a menace.

I agree that what you saw was bona fide slavery rather than some discrimination issues. The Oompa-Loompas were never hired nor can they ever quit or leave. When asked where the Oompa-Loompas came from, Willy-Wonka replies “OompaLand”. I can imagine a plantation owner giving an equivalent reply when asked about the origin of the slaves.

If challenged, they would have to somehow prove that speaking Chinese was significantly related to the job, and that non-speakers could not perform the job. Given that all the other chinese restaurants in town don’t do this, how would they prove that? Might be tough to do. Most customers speak English. The menu is printed in English, isn’t it. The legally-required OSHA posters in the employee break room are in English, aren’t they? Payroll checks written in eNGLISH?

And which of the dozens of ‘Chinese’ languages would the employee have to speak? All of them?

It might work for a while, just because most Chinese Restaurant jobs pay so poorly that people don’t bother to fight in Court to get one.

“So I shipped them all over here, every man, woman and child in the Oompa-Loompa tribe. It was easy. I smuggled them over in large packing cases with holes in them, and they all got here safely. They are wonderful workers. They all speak English now. They love dancing and music. They are always making up songs. I expect you will hear a good deal of singing today from time to time. I must warn you, though, that they are rather mischievous.”

Roald Dahl, Charlie And The Chocolate Factory

Ouch. Just ouch.

doesn’t he also use them for test subjects in Mengele-style scientific experiments? ISTR that he killed a few, or at least did serious damage, with his vile experiments in chewing gum and TV transmiossion.

I haven’t read the book, but in the recent film adaptation, when talking about the gum that makes Violet swell up and turn blue, he says something about “Every Oompa Loompa who tried it turned into a blueberry!”, indicating he tested it on several of them.

They are certainly better off than they were in OompaLoompa land, though, so they shouldn’t really complain.

Yep. “I’ve tried {an experimental chewing gum} twenty times in the Testing Room on twenty Oompa-Loompas, and every one of them finished up as a blueberry. It’s most annoying.” Breaching labour, immigration, and health and safety laws are the least of Willy Wonka’s sins: he should probably stand trial for crimes against humanity.

Doubtless many slave-owners sought to assuage their tender consciences by telling themselves much the same thing, however in the book we have only Willy Wonka’s word that the Oompa Loompas came of their own volition, and that he rescued them from a life of eating mashed green caterpilars by laying off thousands of waged employees in order to keep them in his factory and pay them, literally, beans. I haven’t seen either of the movies.