Would this email sound too much like sucking up?

My work term as a Research Assistant ends today. I was thinking of sending my prof, who operates out of the lab and hired me, a thank-you email. Note that he retired this year (he’s still here to supervise a grad student). Something along the lines of,

"I wanted to thank you for giving me the opportunity to work in the lab this summer, as I enjoyed the work and the new learning experience. I am also particularly grateful for the opportunity to present work at the conference* as this is what I hope to do more of in the future.

Thanks again and I wish you well in your retirement"
I’m not sure - do you think that sounds too suck-upy? The prof really was a great guy though, and I’m not lying in what I say.

(*He’ll know what conference I mean.)

Nope – not suck-uppy at all – very nice, in fact. He’ll be tickled.

It doesn’t sound to sucky to me either but how about sending him a real card. I personally like it a bit better.

Seconded. It’s nice. In every research group I’ve worked, sending an email like this would be cool and no one would think twice about it.

To clarify, I was seconding twickster. I disagree with the real card idea. That’s too much.

Go for it. But I like the card idea.

Thanks for the reassurance. I think I’ll just stick to email though.

A fine idea.

I ama little saddened that people can’t even say “thank you” anymore without worrying about appearing overly gracious (i.e. a suck-up). Miss Manners would be shocked.

I think it is a great idea. But I agree, it is a better idea if you get a card and send it.

I think it’s a great idea but I’d send a real card.

When someone sends me something sweet like that, I want to keep it. Emails eventually get deleted.

ditto. I’d definitely go with a real card.