Would you buy an electric car?

If it were cheap and the infrastructure was there, I’d consider using one for the commute.

I’m really hoping I can put off buying a car until self-driving cars hit the market. I don’t drive very often and I’ve paid off my Camry and hope to drive it into the ground before buying another car, so it should last me at least another 10-20 years with my driving patterns (very little driving considering my job and recreational activities). If these cars happen to be electric, it will be several generations away so that’s how I voted.

I would buy one if it was the right price, but I’d still have to keep my gas powered car. I do like to make longer trips, much longer then the 40 miles or so they say people drive. But I do make a lot of shorter trips, 2 miles to the train station most days, couple of miles to the stores, for that I would love to have one. I’ve thought about getting a scooter for getting to and from the train, but I already own a motorcycle and don’t use it for that as I don’t want to put on all the gear.

A really small car that can hold a couple of bags would be perfect for me.

I voted “yes - price range” and “Other” for “As long as they are made by a company I don’t have an ethical beef with”

We rarely drive very long distances, so an electric car would be great - even with the low mileage per battery right now.

However, I simply cannot afford* any new car right now - but would far prefer getting an electric car when I have the money and the price is right!

*Well…I suppose I could afford one if I absolutely had to - but for me a vehicle is just for going from point A to point B, so I intend to drive my two old cars until they fall apart - and I think I probably have several years until that happens.

I bought a car last year and I really wanted to get a hybrid, but even previously-owned hybrids big enough to fit my family were out of our price range. But as soon as I can afford an electric or partially electric car that is big enough for the family + luggage, that’s what we’ll do.

No option for “when they come in mid-sized SUV format with 4WD, and can drive 500 miles only stopping once for 10 minutes to recharge”

I don’t care if my car runs on electric, gas, or unicorn piss. I shop based on utility and 10 year cost of ownership. If an electric car wins out, great, but it won’t get bonus points for being electric.

If I owned my own house so I could have a high voltage charging station, then yes as a commuter.

I’d love to own a Tesla S but 90K is way out of my price range for a car that I’d only drive 3K miles a year in. That what I do with my current second car that never leaves the garage in inclement weather but it costs half of that.

For me to buy an electric first it would have to be in my price range second it would have to be fun to drive and be useful to take out for date nights or other dressy occasions and I’d still keep a gas vehicle for my daily driver. My nice car currently is for road trips too so being able to drive 1200 miles in 24 hours would be close to a requirement. To be my DD I need 4WD comfortable seating for 4 6’+ people and be able to do my 400 miles a week with only filling up overnight so 90 miles between charging and some buffer if something comes up and I have to drive to the middle of nowhere and spend the night.

I picked Other: I will strongly consider it when it’s in my price range, the car (or at least the battery) can last a long time without major added expense of the battery needing replacing and when I own a home with a garage (I currently own a townhouse without a garage) to be able to easy recharge

I would after a few generations. There’s nothing particularly exciting about the current models, except maybe the Tesla, which is having a lot of growth pains.

For me it would have to be a hybrid. I don’t do enough local driving to make it cost effective, and I’m not taking an all-electric very far from home until there’s a huge infrastructure change.

Other:I am content with the current gasoline powered vehicles

I have a volt, and will probably get a Tesla for my wife in the next 12 months. I love the electric technology and can’t wait to see where we are in ten years.

An electric-only would be a brick in my climate in the winter. If I was going to buy a seasonal vehicle, it would be a motorcycle.

When it’s minus whatever to minus 35 or 40 and/or snowing, so the headlights (daytime running lights are mandatory), the wipers, the heater, the defroster fan and the rear-window defroster are on, I doubt it would make it to the end of the lane, let alone a return trip, even if I turned off the radio.

A cab company here went with Prius hybrids a few years ago. I asked a cabbie whether the car saved gas (it was in January). He laughed.

Well, I suppose–but it’ll have to be a few generations. I want performance vaguely comparable to an IC car, and perhaps most importantly, the ability to “fuel it up” conveniently while on the go.

Mind you… I just got a Mazdaspeed 3, the first car I’ve owned to truly have some balls. (The '69 Cutlass doesn’t count, for a variety of reasons.) I fear that driving it for a few years may make ever switching to an electric difficult, at least until they make an electric sports car.

I had a Toyota RAV4-EV and sold it because the monthly payments (on top of other family costs) were a bit too much to bear and because I assumed EV’s would hit the road en masse within a couple years, so it was the best time to sell – which it was.

And when it’s financially feasible for me to buy another EV I hope the situation allows for it, especially with extended ranges now available. Even with the limiting 100-mile range, I freaking loved it. The silence and the limited maintenance (brakes, tires, windshield wipers was it for seven years) were the big deals for me. Oh, and no gas/pollution*. :slight_smile:

*Limited pollution for the times I didn’t use a solar charger.

I picked “Other” - we live in the boonies and many of our trips are long rides. I might consider one some time in the future when the infrastructure is more robust, the technology is proven in typical consumer driving practices, the charging time is equivalent to filling a tank with gas, and the price is comparable to conventional vehicles. Honestly, at my age and considering we may only buy one more car before we can no longer drive, I doubt I’ll ever own one. But I don’t rule it out.

Okay, I read the title as "Would you buy an electric CAT? and I came here to say that I definitely would. Carry on.

Note to self: time to get on with the cataract surgery.