Would you buy an electric car?

Referring strictly to a plug-in electric only vehicle (“Battery Electric Vehicle” or BEV).

You don’t have an option of: “I would if it made financial sense and was as convenient in terms of size, amenities and travel on one fillup/recharge as contemporary gasoline vehicles”.

I would if they were ubiquitous (which is a combination of being priced right, having infrastructure and waiting a few generations, verging on having no other choice).

I went with “I would if/when they are available in my price range.” and “I would, but only if it’s a Tesla.”; however, the latter part of that isn’t so much about the company, but about the fact that only Tesla’s current tech is acceptable to me. In other words, I would be 100% comfortable with a 260 mile range EV as my only car, but not so much with the range on, say, the Nissan Leaf. I’m at 65k miles on my current car and I can count the number of times that a 260 mile range would have been insufficient on a single hand, that was missing several fingers.

With regard to the price range, I actually don’t mind paying a premium to get an electric vehicle, but I’m squarely in the compact and subcompact range right now. So I’d be looking for something that cost 25k or so, with size/performance/finish comparable to the standards in the Yaris/Fit or Corolla/Civic classes, and with a 250+ mile range. I’m sure we’ll get there eventually, and once we do, I’ll be on board.

I don’t really drive that much in general. Which I suppose would make me an ideal candidate to own a plug-in electric, but I like my giant gas-guzzler and will continue to drive it as long as I have the option.

I would if the price was reasonable (and a lot less than a gas powered car) or if the performance envelop was closer to an IC car and the price was only slightly more. Or, if someone rich wants to just give me a Tesla then I’d be thrilled!!

Other–I’m building an electric car, rather than buying one. I’ll be keeping my gas-powered truck around because I need its hauling capacity on a regular basis, and because I occasionally drive farther than the car’s range will take me.

As soon as there is one that is comparable to my current car in terms of price, performance, cargo capacity, and range. Plus, there has to be a way to fill it up while out on vacation without waiting around for an hour or two.

I *would *when it’s in my price range and I’m looking for a new car, but I also *might *buy a hybrid if they keep up their pace, or I might buy a different alternative (like hydrogen cell) if they become viable.

I’m also interested in the progress of self-driving cars - there are already market cars that won’t let you back over something, and of course google has their completely autonomous vehicle - if I have to make a budgetary decision to spring for one or the other, self-driving car technology might win out.

I voted “I would if the infrastructure was widespread.” Reason being I have no options for plugging in at home (apartment, carport has no outlets.)

If I could recharge it in 2 minutes and it was cost competitive then not just yes but hell yes. It would still have to be a 2nd car as they aren’t really good for towing.

If I had the money I’d have built one by now as that is the most practical way to do it today.

Plug-in hybrids seem like the best option overall. But all the electric cars currently cost more than any gas savings.

Other. I have no problem with them and would buy one as soon as it can do everything my mid-sized SUV does. Including good 4x4 and a range of 300 miles or so with a 5 minute charging time.

Why not a simple, “No” option? The only thing close is “I’ll nevah!”. Things could change in a few years.

I can see my next car being an electric vehicle, but I’m not going to be in the market for a car for another four years or so, and I would probably have to live in a different house. I currently have street parking, so I’m not about to drag an orange extension cord out of my place and down the street to recharge.

Yes, once the infrastructure is in place. Which could mean electrifying the roads instead of plugging in when stopped. There’s some interesting R&D going on in that field these days.

As am I. I am in the gathering parts and information point at this time.

I’d totally replace one of our cars with one if they were priced for that market, which of course they are not.

I will purchase one when a longer range battery comes along.