Would you ever get a gun for home defense (only)?

I may have some. My problem at the moment is my safe isn’t large enough so that presents some practical limits. I’m waiting until my kids are ready so they can be familiar as well. .22 rifles for all to start.

Firearms are some of many items I keep for emergency preparedness. Temporary localized loss of services or civil unrest would not be outside the realm of possibilities, as well as home defense. Virtually no place is immune to crime.

Could you share about the 2 times you used a gun?

I could understand it if you thought something like “The chances of injuring myself with a gun are higher than the chances of fending off burglars” It’s not the conclusion I came to, but it’s sound reasoning.

But… what?! :confused: You should be prepared, within reason, for all kinds of things that have not yet happened, and even for things that might never happen.

I’m 57 years old and never had an occasion where a gun in my hand would have helped the situation. On the other hand, I have been hit in the head by various objects throughout my life, from small stones to fallen branches to stray softballs. Does it not make sense that most of us should be walking around wearing helmets?

I have kids in the house and the statistics suggest that a gun would do more harm than good, so it’s a definite no for me right now. Probably a definite no forever based on my penchant for pacifism, the generally poor record that guns have for self defense, the cost, and the fact that I’ve never really enjoyed shooting all that much. All of those things may change in the future though, so who knows.

For those who for some reason have a gun but don’t keep it secured I would suggest a handgun safe. these are small metal safes that open with a push button combination that allows you to quickly retrieve your weapon and magazine while keeping it safe from anyone else. I have mine screwed to the bottom of my bed.
Also regarding statistics as to you being safer disarmed does anyone have a cite for that? Seems like it’s often just a statement thrown out without analysis. For example there are perhaps 11,000 firearm murders in the country vs a low end estimate of 55,000 to 4.7 million high end self defensive uses per year.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/07/robert-farago/psychology-today-youre-safer-without-gun/

I bought a gun after 9/11 so that I’d have it just in case something crazy happened (thinking more of rioting/looting than end of the world), and ended up enjoying shooting it so much that I got into various shooting sports as a hobby, so it’s not ‘only’ for home defense any more. Haven’t had a situation when I felt a need to use any of them other than for fun or hunting, but I also haven’t had to use the fire extinguisher or anything beyond band-aids in the first aid kit, and I make a point of keeping them around even though they take more maintenance.

Probably not ever, but if my circumstances change enough (e.g. Zombie Apocalypse) I’d consider it.

This article is chock full of cites; I recommend reading it with an open mind. That’s about all I say without risking a total threadjack.

You’re not already?

In over 40 years I haven’t had my house burn down or flood either, nor have I been in an auto accident in 2 decades, yet I still have insurance, even though I hope never to use it.

That said, no, I don’t see myself getting a gun for home defense. Basically, I think the cost to benefit ratio is skewed towards cost. JMHO of course.

I have a small caliber auto, mainly for intimidation, as I really don’t ever want to kill anybody. I bought it primarily for the RV, since campgrounds are far from secure and you definitely do NOT know your neighbors. I also have a J.C. Higgins .22 bolt action rifle that I keep because I’ve had it for some 55 years now. It hasn’t been fired in probably 40 years. I had a vague notion of passing it on to a grandchild, but I don’t think any of them are interested. Maybe the local gun shop will buy it. As mentioned, a long gun isn’t ideal for home protection unless it’s a short-barreled shotty.

We live in what is considered a “good” neighborhood in what is considered a “low crime” township. Our house was broken into during the day. We were robbed of money, jewelry and small electronics. Luckily my wife was not home. We have 2 dogs. We think the dogs helped the burglar. Anyone want 2 dogs? Free. :slight_smile:

A home in a development next to us was also broken into the same day and besides the same type of stuff taken like ours their car was also taken.

2 homes the same day in a “safe” neighborhood. Who would have thought. Nowhere is really safe.

We do not know what would have happened if my wife was home. Door was broken to get in. Noise was not an issue.

She now knows where the guns are kept on each floor and knows how to use them and will use them.

We thought we were safe.

BTW, they caught the little shit, had several firearms violations in addition to the burglaries and is now serving 24 years.

Well, since we already shot a would-be truck thief with a crossbow (he survived, and also decided he didn’t want our truck after all) I don’t see why would wouldn’t consider a gun.

A couple years ago a young, drunken asshole from the bar next door attempted to break in while we were sitting in the living room watching TV. Turned out a garden shovel was sufficient to discourage that attempt, but aftewards we reviewed our circumstances and safety. We can’t afford to move to a safer neighborhood (yet - I’m working on the income situation) and a gun was one option we considered.

In the end we did not buy one.

But I have to say we seriously considered it. I’d prefer not to remain in an area where I felt one was needed, but if I couldn’t get myself out of such and area yes, it’s on the table as an option.

I live in a really safe neighborhood. Back in December not far from us a man climbed into a second story window and raped the occupant. There is no such thing as a really safe neighborhood. I have an automatic that I know how to shoot and my dh has a shotgun that I have never shot. I do wonder, however, how a thief or rapist would feel upon seeing an old lady waving a shotgun in his general direction.

My Dad bought me a .410 shotgun for Christmas when I was eleven. We had various other rifles and shotguns. I grew up in the middle of nowhere, so we’d go out back and shoot things (objects, not animals) for fun. I’m also an Army veteran. I have put plenty of rounds down-range. This is just to say I know my way around guns and I kind of like them.

To me, the idea that I need a weapon for defense against people (home or otherwise) is completely absurd. Yes, if you live out in the boonies you want something for bears and critters, but otherwise there is no point. No one is going to invade your home while you’re actually home.

See Post 55 above.

Gosh, really?

I guess my spouse and I hallucinated the guy who tried to force his way into our home and actually started to engage my spouse in fisticuffs when he got past the front door. And when the local sheriff showed up they cuffed the mirage and threw him in the county lockup.

Not to mention to other mentioned incidents of homes being broken into and the occupants raped in this thread.

Honestly, you’re the one who is mistaken here. Home invasions do occur when people are home. Of course, being middle-aged and one of us visibly disabled probably made us look like soft targets (we aren’t) so maybe you’re young and fit enough you’re at lower risk but the situation you say won’t happen actually does happen to people.

Last year, I was riding my bike to work, and a guy very angrily threatened to shoot me in the face. A few months ago, a bum started rifling through a box of supplies from the hardware store that I’d set down on the loading dock. A couple years ago, a homeless guy stuck his hand through my open car window. Since I don’t have a gun, what happened is, in order: nothing, a stolen package of AA batteries, and a strange handshake. I can’t say I’d never own a gun, just that in my current situation a gun seems a lot more likely to get me into trouble than get me out of trouble.

That’s my opinion too.