Would you let a twelve-year-old girl watch Annie Hall?

Yeah, and at the same time, they enunciated “Gee, our old La Salle ran great” more clearly.

(And for another bit of TV trivia, if you’re fortunate enough to get to watch WKRP, you’re not mishearing the closing-credits song. It’s meant to be gibberish!)

Indeed; that’s why I had noted that, if your daughter had been allowed to watch The Favourite, then the sexual content in Annie Hall should not be a big deal. (Then again, you said that your daughter had watched it with her mother, so I should have realized that you might not have seen the film yourself.)

FWIW, here’s the “parents guide” page for The Favourite on IMDB; there isn’t a lot of nudity, but there are several scenes in which sex is discussed and/or performed.

Pity. You’re missing a delicious black-comedy of manners and neurosis. If you know the director’s work, it is a buttoned down compared to some of his other films.

Of the nominated performances for Best Actress that year, only Lady Gaga’s performance didn’t rise to what I would call “Oscar-worthy”.

I’d add A Man for All Seasons to this list for sure.

Much rather Wolf Hall. (Okay, it’s a six-part TV series, not a movie.)

If you want to go with TV series, they don’t get better than Elizabeth R. Glenda Jackson is superb as QE I. (I actually prefer this series to The Six Wives of Henry VIII.)

There are lots of good “period costume dramas.” The question is, How heavy do you want your history/anachronisms?

Zefirelli’s Romeo and Juliet? Cromwell? The Sea Hawk? Captain from Castille? El Cid? Taras Bulba? The Adventures of Robin Hood?

My favorite “period costume drama” isn’t set during the Middle Ages or Renaissance. It’s The Heiress, starring Olivia deHavilland and Montgomery Clift.

IMHO Take the Money and Run is worth it just for the marching cello and “I have a gub” scenes.

Brian

By that logic, no one would ever watch any movie set in any time or place other than their own.

I was 13 in 1977. “Annie Hall” kicked off the “layered look” fad, and that’s what I remember about it at the time.

I also remembered this Sunday morning comic from a few years ago.

Annie Hall was a independent, very intelligent, modern woman. She reflected the changing role of women in society.

I remember it as quite different from the typical 1970’s romance movie.

I’m not sure if a 12 year old today would enjoy the movie. It could be a good topic for discussion. How things have changed.

So glad you gave Paige a say in the entertainment. I love the Little actress, I’d probably love it.

Now that sold me on it, not seeing Woody!

Hey, I’d get to smile at Woody’s quirky humor and timing… without constantly having to remind myself “Okay, you don’t respect him as a human being, but do try to appreciate his movies.”

What’s a "kitchen-sink comedy? I only know “kitchen-sink drama”, and that’s as far from Woody Allen as it’s possible to get without being Bergman…

Everything-but-the-kitchen-sink, in this case.

Answering before reading replies.

Sure, why the hell not? The kid could find it boring or offensive or boring or good or whatever, I just wouldn’t go in with the ‘I’m going to share this wonderful thing from my youth, the child will get it as much as I, and we can create happy memories together sharing this thing we both now love’ attitude because, well, the kid usually isn’t on the same agenda. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

The question of whether it’s appropriate for you to go outside her parents understood norms is a subject for another thread. (I say ‘of course’, given this context.)

My ex and I did very little monitoring of Sophia’s media consumption, and she’s doing gangbusters, so it’s an overblown concern imho… but then, overblown with my kid. Other kids? :man_shrugging:

Diane Keaton looks fantastic in this movie and when I think of ‘70s female apparel’, her Annie is the first image to come to mind. Truly iconic.

I’d dump any woman who’d admit to boinking Woody Allen like toxic waste. Yeccch! :nauseated_face:

So, I take it you didn’t see my use of the word “depends” in the first clause? That would preclude a conclusion of “no one”…

Yeah, I wouldn’t even do that with The Wizard of Oz. Once you start that, the best reaction you can hope for is indifference. And that applies to adults as well. I’ve long since given up telling other adults “You’re gonna love this!” and I side-eye adults who tell me that.

Exactly!

Despite the revelations regarding Allen’s character in recent times, I still believe that these are among the best American movies ever made:

• Play It Again, Sam
  • Love and Death
  • Annie Hall
  • Manhattan
  • Broadway Danny Rose
  • The Purple Rose of Cairo
  • Hannah and Her Sisters
  • Radio Days
  • Crimes and Misdemeanors

And many of the remaining films have some aspect that makes them worth seeing, at least up to 2012. Everything after Midnight in Paris is garbage.

Woody Allen is just another one of those people who have produced art that is of cultural value who has also (perhaps) done some horrible things. He is far from the only one.

We have to come to terms with those kinds of matters. It’s not like it’s anything new.

I think so too. Play It Again, Sam is my favorite movie of all time. Annie Hall and Hannah and Her Sisters are also among my 100 favorite movies. I am not a judge, a lawyer, or a member of a jury, so I have no more knowledge about what Allen has done in the matters he’s being accused of than any other random person. I have seen nearly all of his films and read a lot about him and his movies and know a lot about movies in general. Why should the personal life of someone affect our opinion of their work? How far would this go? If I say, “I think we should apply some geometry to this mathematical problem,” would it be O.K. for you to say to me, “Don’t you know that Euclid was a serial killer? Aren’t you bothered by that? Wait, are you a serial killer yourself? Hey, let’s string up Wendell. Nah, that would be too good for him”? My view is that I would have no problem with giving someone a Nobel Prize or an Oscar or whatever and also condemning them to prison for the rest of their life for a crime.