Would you like a bendable TV screen?

I just saw a video about these. Honestly I don’t know why you would want that. What is the point?

Cracked screens are a common enough problem, I would think the answer is apparent: bendable tablet computers, Bendable mobile phones.

In a few situations, it could actually be useful: if a light (e.g., sunbeam) is hitting the screen directly, you might be able to temporarily bow it a small amount to reduce the effect of the reflection. Other than that, durability is a good thing.

A curved computer screen could be kind of cool for a mini-IMAX experience, and it should also be useful for high-end flight sims and similar applications.

For watching Bent.

Maybe you mean what is the purpose? Big bendable screens mounted in airports that can be seen from long distance; in stadiums so the side seats can get a view. Road signs.

Surely there will be many other uses.

I’m flexible. Why shouldn’t my TV be?

You are flexible so that your right hand can go places that your left foot doesn’t need to be. The OP is asking how that is useful for a tv screen.

Perhaps I can restate the OP: If the screen is anything other than flat (or close to flat), then it won’t be fully visible, and some viewers will miss part of the picture. Why s that a good thing?

From most of the posts here, I think the answer might be: Bendable screens aren’t intended to be folded to fit a particular area. “Bendable” is intended to mean merely “not so fragile as previously”.

I think I might restate Telperion’s post to mean: If your screen is too big, or you’re sitting too close to it, then the sides will be much further away than the center of the screen, which will distort the view, unless you can bring the sides closer, in a more concave shape.

They could be used to line the inside of a domed ceiling to make a planetarium-type display.

That’s the first use that’s made me want one even a little bit.

Part of the point is to provide justification for people to buy a new one of something they already have.

I’ve already run into several people who say they want one of these, but have no real idea why, except that, for a while, they’ll be the kid with the coolest toy.

From the point of view of the manufacturer, it’s the same thing, innovation drives consumer demand, or the company stagnates and dies.

I think the OP is talking about large bendable TVs..

Curved TVs are intended to provide a panoramic view, giving you an immersive experience. At least for someone sitting in the middle of the room. But it doesn’t work well if you have a room full of people watching it. Hence the bendable TV: you can make it flat when you invite a bunch of people to watch a football game, and make it curved when you’re watching a movie alone.

This is the reason manufacturers give for producing curved screens. However, it’s unlikely to make any real difference and is frankly just a gimmick. Unless you live in an oast house.

I was recently in a movie theater with a curved screen (not Imax - just for the whole screen to be an equal distance from the projector).
I was there early (to get a good seat) and walked down to take a look. The sides were just over a foot closer to the front seats than the center of the screen. I sat very close to the center of the theater (of course) and found the curved screen a distraction rather than an improvement. I surmise that it’s because the lenses of the cameras and projector are made for flat film and screens.

I think it would be great less for TVs and more for replacing paper with electronics. So you could have an “e-reader” with actual pages you can turn, but what is printed on those pages can change at the push of a button. Or a large “newspaper” you can fold and read normally, but whose print changes every day if you have a subscription. Things like that.

Paper really is an amazing technology, and we would do well to imitate it with modern electronics rather than write it off as primitive.

This is true - and it wasn’t so very long ago that flatness was a key selling point of TVs (both late-model CRTs and all of the technologies that came after).

I imagine the distortion caused by curving the screen could be very easily compensated for in the TV firmware, but then you’re back to a curved screen giving you a virtual flat view.

These things are a solution in search of a problem.

Sorry I didn’t word it very well. I meant what is the advantage in terms of viewing in your house on your Tv? I can’t imagine that it would add anything to the experience and might just be worse.
Seems very gimmicky to me.

I think you worded it just fine - there’s no real advantage (if there was, they’d be telling us about the advantage- not just the “Wow! cool! it bends” stuff).

Gamers might like it if it feels more immersive, I guess.

Finally, a TV that I can drape over a tree branch like a Dalí pocket watch.

So, like we saw in the movie Minority Report?

Ever since I saw that movie I have been in love with that technology and waiting for it to appear. So, for portable media, foldable rather than bendable screens are the way to go.
Roddy