Would you rather have fast-healing powers or a hyper-genius intellect?

Super Healing.

I’m reasonably smart already (although you wouldn’t know it from my posting style) and I don’t think being smarter will make me any happier. The more I learn about people, the less hope I have that meanness will ever go away. I’d probably shoot my super brain with a large caliber pistol in a matter of hours. My problem with super smarts…would it come with super imagination? Because even with good-will I think super smarts & super imagination would be a highly effective, possibly dangerous combination. Too easy to become Gandalf-with-The-Ring and deprive people of their rights to be complete assholes to each other.

I’d like to be healthier, able to recover more quickly from exertion so I could get back into amazing shape and coast the last 15 years of my life once the effect wears off.

But you could still lay the groundwork. Particularly if you can get a bunch of regular-smart people to work with you.

Actually I think the OP implies that it might be possible. It doesn’t say that the either process is magical*, so I will presume that, if it’s possible to grant super-fast healing, it’s possible to build a healing chamber. In the world of the hypothetical, the tech has to be imaginable, I think. I really expected somebody to suggest that one poster take the brainiac option and ally himself with someone who took the Wolverine path.

I still agree with Mika, Qad, and Trihs that the brainiac option is much worse than it sounds. There’s probably some minor setbacks to the Wolverine option (you’re apt to get some bad habits), but the comedown from being Reed Richards is going to be crushing.

*I meant it to, but since I didn’t, I grant that the ship has sailed.

In that case I’m going with the brains.

Intellect. If the effects were permanent I’d go with the healing, you could live a really, really long life aging only 1 week per year. But for only 5 years, I doubt I’d even need the healing power before the time was up and when it was over I wouldn’t have much to show for it outside of maybe looking a tiny bit younger.

With 5 years of super brainpower I imagine I could make quite a bit happen that would seriously benefit me (and quite possibly the world) for the rest of my life.

Yeah but you give the health boost back in five years and essentially retain nothing, but benefits gained under the intelligence boost do remain. I guess you use the health boost to gain 50 lbs. of muscle or something that would then slowly decline, thereby giving some extended residual benefit… But for me, it’s not like I have a serious or terminal illness such that taking the health option is my best or only way to live another 5 years in reasonably good health.

So I’d take 5 years of super-intelligence and learn all the crap I’ve always wanted to but didn’t have the time to focus on: languages, mostly, but also various scientific and mathematical areas of interest (professional and personal). Easy choice.

Now, if the 5 years of super-healing allowed me to heal permanent injuries I presently have (a smashed foot injury that has left my left big toe and 2 others misaligned, loss of 20% flexibility in the big toe and likely future arthritis), I’d think about it. But (a) the OP stated nothing retroactive, and (b) I’d almost definitely still take the super-intelligence since the messed up foot isn’t really a big deal in my day to day life (but forestalling constant-pain arthritis would certainly be something I’d think about).

If it were a permanent effect I’d go with the healing. I like to think I’m pretty darn smart already, but not enough time to learn everything I’d like to.

I’m comfortable being as smart as I am.

I’m tired of being sick/tired/in-pain. Give me the healing.

I’m in the intellect camp because of the 5 year time limit. If it were permanent, I’d go with the healing. I think I could do a lot more with super intelligence for a short period that will have a better long term impact on my life.

Same here.

I go with the hyper-genius intellect. Yes, my body stays in the condition it’s in now, and I get to experience the Algernon Effect first-hand, but I also get to keep all the knowledge I accumulated during those five years of brilliance, and I would accumulate a LOT of knowledge.

I decided against the s00pergeniushood option because it’d be like a remake of Flowers for Algernon, except that after the five years instead of being dead I’d just be really really depressed by my inability to comprehend the stuff I did when I was smarter.

So I was going to choose fast healing when I noticed something extremely important, a factor which must be accounted for before I vote:

There are cinnamon buns? Tell me there are warm cinnamon buns. Because I would totally choose those.

Mmmm…cinnamon buns…

Fast healing, as I already have the other.

Fast healing. At my present level of intelligence, most people already bore me.

Intellect, no question - the super-healing would only really be attractive if permanent or if the effects were time-limited in a different way (say, like a cat’s nine lives) but as it stands, it’s only a temporary effect, whereas the skills I could pick up in 5 years - languages, crafts, sciences, musical instruments, lockpicking, magic tricks - even back to my normal imperfect recall, that has to be worth it.

No, you don’t. At the end of the five years you lose the ability to heal ultra-fast, but whatever improvements were made to your body in the meantime remain.

Easy. Healing. Intelligence is nice, but it has downsides at the extremes. And such intelligence would be useless if I’m still tired all the time.

It does? Such as?

Normally I’d go with fast-healing, but because you said the effects only last five years, I’m gonna go with hyper intellect. That way I’d presumably found a way to make myself rich and I can live comfortably after the five years are up.

I choose intelligence, because I’m 27 and probably won’t need to quickly recover from something debilitating in the next 5 years, and I could probably make a lot of money with the intelligence and set me up for life.

Quick healing would be a huge boon for anyone who wanted to be an athlete. You would be able to train much harder than even the heaviest steroid users. But how far would that get you? Most of the money making sports involve ball handling skills that fast healing wouldn’t help you much to achieve. You could quickly become very strong or very fast, but would your genes keep you from becoming very successful in strength sports or high intensity racing sports? If so, you probably won’t make much money from this.

On the other hand, fast healing might help you in endurance events. As with other sports, training much harder than any of your competitors will give you an advantage. But endurance races do damage to your body as your go through them, and if you heal a hundred times faster than anyone else you might be able to dominate. Maybe spend 1 year training and 4 years winning and amassing endorsements, you could make some pretty good money.

The downsides of the left side of the intelligence bell curve are obvious, I think.

The downsides of the right side are likely to be social. And I’m not necessarily talking about other people not accepting or understanding the hyper-genius; the hyper-genius can likely fake being dumber than she is. But the HG is also likely to feel alienated regardless of the way other people act, because from her point of view everyone else is extremely slow. The world becomes much more frustrating. What if most conversations feel like a normal person talking to a person with mental retardation? I foresee a lot of new hyper-geniuses becoming short-tempered and unhappy because they have no one around them to interact with in a fulfilling matter (except for purely physical interactions).

And, as I’ve already written, the let-down at the end of the five years is going to be much worse for the ex-Brainiacs than for the ex-Wolverines.