would you report a pedophile coworker ?

Yes, for his own sake. He should question why he is in that line of work, and where it’s going to lead him. But I can’t force him to make the choice. Again, flaming liberal speaking. The oldskool kind of liberal.

Personally I’d have little moral problems with beating the living crap out of the individuals who have raped friends of mine, but would that make me unqualified to work in an environment where I come into contact with convicted rapists? I can control my instincts, why shouldn’t he be able to? Slight hyperbole, but merely stating an example.

I’m not saying I like the idea, but once again…you’re promoting the punishment of an individual due to what’s inside his head. Lets wander that path a bit further, shall we? Would you like to have him locked up? Forbidden to use the internet? What about castrated? Why don’t we wire him up, so that every time he thinks a sexual thought he gets a nice jolt of electricity. And we kill his cat.
What punishment to fit what crime? He has done nothing, so what should his punishment be?

(For argument’s sake, let’s ignore that he discussed his sexual preferences in the parking lot, which is another cause for censure in itself. Presume that the knowledge of his pedophilia came out indirectly.)