Would you want a clone of your pet?

There is a part of me that wants a do-over with some of the dogs I’ve lost.

I had an abused dog many years ago, and despite her scars and the mental damage done to her, she was a great dog, though always timid, and I would love to have a version of her that hadn’t had the heart kicked out of it by a previous owner.

Another dog was just a super dog… smart and happy and loved everybody, especially kids. I would love to have another like her.

I could go through all the dogs I’ve had and find something I would want to re-create, but having a cloned version? I don’t know that I would want that. My dogs are all so unique and special, if only to me, and I think I would prefer to just have the memories, rather than another version that may or not turn out the same way.

No. It wouldn’t be the same animal. Identical twins aren’t the same people x2, either, and that’s exactly what a clone would be.

There’s no way I would want to do this to replace a dying pet.

But I must admit I’d be very curious to introduce one of my current kitties to a clone of himself - the results could be quite amusing!

In what way? You have understood, have you, that cloned animals do not look identical to their original (unless members of the relevant species all look the same to you anyway), and there is little reason to expect them to have a similar personality, as their life experience will have been quite different. Also, of course, the clone will be a lot younger than the original. You would merely be introducing your cat to a kitten of the same general type.

I don’t know about that, my uncle had a border collie working sheepdog who was the evilest meanest son-of-a-bitch you ever met, his granddaughter on the other hand was an absolute sweetheart. Two very different personalities and related not just of the same breed.

I hadn’t thought of that, yes that would be rather odd.

She basically thought it would be the same dog.

Thanks for the answers everyone!