Would you wear a dead man's clothes?

Would I? Sure. Do I? Unfortunately, no.

I bought a fantastic tie at an antiques store last year. It’s totally art deco. As it was made in the 1930s, surely its original owner has passed on. So I bought it for $29 and took it home. The next week, I put it on – it comes down to about my sternum.

If I ever meet a midget with style, it’ll be his lucky day.

People tend to void their bowels in death, you know. Just sayin’.

Yeah. I’m pretty sure I do it all the time, since much of my clothing comes from thrift shops.

Probably, if it’s not worn-out, in good condition and not horribly out-dated. You will often find things from estate sales of well-to-do people, and the folks in the second-hand shop don’t always realize the quality of the item.

As a kid, most of my clothes were hand-me-downs, so as I got older, I had no problem with second-hand clothes.

Ironically, when I was eighteen,I got a job in a funeral home, and the only suits I could afford were in second-hand shops, probably from dead people. In fact, I preferred the cut of many second-hand suits, because they didn’t have those wide lapels in fashion at the time. And the silk ties cost the same as the polyester ones.

I certain would hope the clothes are dead. Living clothes don’t sound too appealing.

That’s a good point. The man died of cancer. He’d been sick for several years, so he almost certainly wore some of the clothes while he was sick. My family has been pretty paranoid about cancer ever since my brother died of it at the age of 6. So I think some part of me is thinking “These clothes might have/give me cancer.” Irrational I know, but there it is.

When my father died, I got his ties. He was a Dr., so he had a lot of really nice ones, Ermengildo Zegna ties seemed to be his favorites. Anyway, I like them, and they’re a nice reminder of him.

I’ve done it. As long as they’ve been washed, I don’t have a problem with it.

I also don’t have a problem with anyone who would feel better not doing it.

I’d rather not wear the clothes he was wearing at the time of his death. I’m sure I’d get over it rather quickly though. If it was someone I didn’t like, I’d take a great deal of pleasure from it.

When my grandfather died I found some 1920’s prison issue stuff that I wore in high school.

Did the man die from a communicable skin rash? If not, then I’d be happy to wear his clothes.

Ok, even if he did.

I have lots of jewelry that belonged to my grandmother and great-grandmother that I wear frequently. No problem. I am 8" taller than one of them and 6" taller than the other, and about 50-70 lbs lighter, though, so I didn’t get any of their clothes.

I think I’m doing it right now. This shirt is from a thrift, store, anyway.

Wouldn’t bother me a bit, unless I didn’t like the guy.

Well, I’m more likely to wear women’s clothes, but I’ve worn a couple of Dad’s old jumpers for years after his death (2000). The sleeves were too short for my brothers’ arms. His shirts went to goodwill, some things got thrown away, many went to my brothers’ or my grandfather; some items of clothing went to friends (mostly the kind of thing which works as a memento, for example a set of handkerchiefs embroidered with his initials to a friend who also hated paper ones).

Then again, hand-me-downs are perfectly normal in my family and culture, be they clothes, jewelry or furniture.

I could never understand this but some people get spooked by death. My mother died and I came home form the hospital and slept in the same bed she died in. Which was also the same bed my father died in.

But some people get the idea that if one dies on a piece of furntiture or in a set of clothes, those close have “death cooties” so to speak. :slight_smile:

You’ll never make it as a Fremen with that attitude.

So what’s the problem here? You worried about old guy smell? A little Febreeze will take care of that.

Sure, assuming they aren’t the clothes they were wearing when they died. And that they aren’t full of bloodstains and the like.

As Hal Briston suggested, it is a very good way to get nice clothes cheaply. Once you have a shovel and a flashlight, you can have all the fancy clothes you ever need. In my experience, dry cleaners can take out formaldehyde smells out of suits pretty well.

That’s good for you but what about the poor houngans? Do you have any idea how much it costs to cloth an army of zombies? Just because they’re dead doesn’t mean they’re not modest. :mad:

I’ve worn a lot of my dead brother-in-law’s stuff; I have a tailor made overcoat of his in storage now. He was a very decent guy----I just know he was never pissed about it.

About a quarter of my sales on eBay are brand names clothes. I get most of the stuff from estate sales. I also keep some of the stuff that fits me too.