[QUOTE=DiosaBellissima]
Cooking books are in the cooking section. Those are books.
The cooking magazines are broken up about equally between a dining/culinary section and the women’s interest area.
I was actually originally saying there was no point in having a men’s and women’s interest sections period, but roomie made a good point. I mean, GQ, FHM, and Maxim are men’s interest magazines. Cosmo, Jane, and Marie Clare are women’s interest magazines. Beyond those types of publications, I can’t imagine fairly categorizing anything. Science is a men’s thing? Cooking is a women’s thing? Is this 1812?
[/QUOTE]
It seems that Border’s has a labeling problem in more ways than one. The above mags are clearly aimed at different sexes, what about the others? Modern Drummer, Guns and Ammo, Guitar Magazine, Muscle and Fitness…I’m sure we can agree that the majority of buyers of these magazines are men. That’s not even counting boobie mags.
So, rather than adopt an alphabetical system that would put Poker Monthly right next to Playgirl, such stores need to group all titles that might interest one person in one area. I’m sure you’re aware of the reasoning behind this, both economically, and statistically.
It seems to me that the divisions amongst the magazines make sense in a purely economical sense, but are a far cry from being politically correct.
One could remove the gender labeling in a magazine rack, but I guess they’d sell fewer magazines. I know I’m not going to browse through 70+ magazines to find a mag that I only kind of want. If I saw all the mags I’m likely to want, I might buy more than one.
Either way, there’s no better way to sell mags on a rack than I can think of.