[QUOTE=DiosaBellissima]
I hate to do this, but cite? I’m not asking out of jerkiness, I’m genuinely curious. If that is the fact, then that’s absolutely wonderful.
That said, I know roomie and I both experience a sexist attitude towards our studies on a daily basis.
To begin with (and I’m running this by her as I’m typing), we’re out numbered in our classes by boys 3 to 1 (roughly, give or take, yadda yadda). Almost daily one of us gets someone saying:
“Oh, you’re a bio major that’s premed. So you want to be a nurse? Oh, you want to be a doctor! Now why would a pretty little thing like you want to be a big busy doctor! Don’t you want to be a nurse?”
or
“Oh, political science and history? My, my, my! Aren’t those awfully tough subjects for a pretty girl like you? You want a PhD? Why? You don’t need a PhD to teach kids. Oh, you want to be a professor? In military history? Why?”
[/QUOTE]
If it makes you feel any better (it won’t), I heard much the same shit when I was in college and told folks I really, really, wanted to be a stay at home mother (I had one infant at the time, so I wasn’t just in fantasy land.)
“What? But you’re do smart!” (Right, 'cause we prefer that it’s the idiots raising our kids.)
“Don’t you want to make a difference in the world?” (Sure. One child at a time, right? Why can’t they be my kids I’m making a difference with?)
“But what if something happens to your husband? What will you do then?” (Then I’ll get a job with the handy degree I’m earning sitting next to your sorry ass all day.)
Seriously, I think it’s nothing at all to do with gender roles, careers and your aptitude. It’s because people like to tear other people down and make them doubt themselves.
Then again, the only times in my life I’ve gotten approval from others is when announcing that I want to be a teacher or a nurse, so maybe you’re right.