Wowbagger the Mercotan, Hero Cat

It was the 3rd thing I checked, after the Mrs. and the hero cat. Cheeses were all fine, including the 20 year old cheddar, and a very, VERY nice 5 year old Vermont cheddar. The 7 year old gouda (from the Netherlands) was all right too. Sadly, the epoisses du Bourgogne smelled like it had peed itself, and had to be discarded. A shame, but the epoisses are nervous cheeses, at least those imported into the US. So this happens often.

The poster yclept Chronos speaks truly.

You gotta visit again and see just how lakeside the damn residence is these days, with rising water levels. Every storm is exciting now.

And while the house is a bit on the largish size, it does have odd acoustics in that noise from the kitchen seems to reflect into the Master suite without diminution of sound.

No, I went to Goucher - back when it was still a woman’s school. Tho I did go to a frat party at Hopkins. It was awful!

However, I did navigate portions of East Baltimore at all hours - my grandparents lived in Canton/Fells Point area.

When were you at Goucher? We might have dated! Not that it led to anything if we did . . .

Yeah, Hopkins parties were awful.

flatlined, I hope that didn’t come off as snarky, I didn’t mean it to be. I am curious about reading more about bats not having as high an incidence of rabies than previously reported. So I would enjoy it if you could point me to info about this phenomenon; I did some googling and didn’t find much that seemed relevant, beyond the statements that bats had a lot of herpes too.

And I truly did look to see if the Mrs. truly needed the vaccine, and expert medical opinion comes down heavily on the side of doing so these days.

Thanks for your contribution. Now my mind keeps pondering what the degree of public health threat by bats truly is.

Given how common bats are I suspect the public health threat is not very great… the problem is, the few times it IS a real problem the risks are so very high.

Somewhere on the SDMB archives is the tale of when a bat got loose in my home. It’s been a few years.

We have many bats here in South Arkansas. I see them flitting about our security lights catching flying insects attracted to the light.
I’ve never had one in the house but I have seen dead ones on the ground. I bury them as I don’t want the barn cat to eat them. We’ve only had her/him caged long enough to get rabies vaccine in her twice in the 7-8 years she’s been here.
The word around here is rabies are carried by many small mammals (skunks, fox, raccoons) Not to mention the large population of feral hogs.

ETA - bat transmitted herpes sounds truly scary.

My bathroom is down the hall and around a corner from my living room. Once I heard the cat romping around in the bathroom, then heard a squeaking. Said squeaking came down the hall, and I thought “Oh no, the cat is bringing me a mouse.” He turned the corner, and the mouse, clutched in cat’s mouth, was flapping it’s wings! So I made him drop it and it proceeded to get up and fly around the living room. I swatted it out of the air with a pillow and it fell down stunned. I grabbed it with an oven mitt, and it came back to active, struggling life. I tossed it outside and it flew off.

The poor bat :frowning:

I was just there for the '72-'73 school year and I know we never dated because I never dated - not by my choice, but by the choice of the various ignorant guys out there. :stuck_out_tongue: I even went to one of those cattle-call dances at the Naval Academy, bussed in no less, and not a single Middie even talked to me! Guess I was just a late bloomer.

Just another bit of trivia, the first dentist I had when we moved here also went to Goucher - that’s when I found out it had gone coed. He’s not a very good dentist, but I don’t know if that’s Goucher’s fault. :smiley:

And Hopkins-related - my spousal unit’s orthopedic surgeon was my bro’s undergrad roomie, and he taught (teaches?) a class at Hopkins. I know he’s about to retire from his practice, but I don’t know if he’s still teaching. More than you care to know, especially in a bat-related thread…

Well, it is a French cheese.

StG

It’s not surprising that you, cat, woman teamed up to defeat the bat, man.

If Wowbagger is a polydactyl cat, give him high sixes.

As for the Oubliette, you probably just forgot that one was there.

We have no classic oubliettes, but we have 5 separate attics. All are sealed well enough against bat encroachment, I believe. One is the traditional trap-door access. The others are behind false walls, or doors at the back of closets.

We also have 7 bathrooms. I don’t know why we have 7 bathrooms, it all seemed to make some sort of sense at the time they were built. The original blueprints called for an 8th bathroom, but Pops Mercotan turned it into a bar instead.

Oh yeah, the house has two bars in it. And we don’t even drink.

Oh, and two secret doors that don’t look like doors, leading to walk in closets.

Only two fireplaces though. They share a single chimney, as the living room one is stacked on top of the basement one.

And it does have a walk in vault, too. With a safe door salvaged from an old bank. We’re talking a huuge heavy duty safe door.

I have a weird house. But it’s comfy. Except when containing bats.

It’s always better to be closer to a bathroom than farther. Sort of like when you’re putting in a fence - always put in twice as many gates as you think you’ll need.

StG

It sounds like a fascinating house.

Ahem! You forgot the most important part of all: PICTURES!!!

Having seen it in real life… yes, yes it is.