wrappers

At what age do recording companies think people stop buying CD’s? I mean, they put out recordings of people like Frank Sinatra and the Mills Brothers. Does it occur to them that at some age it becomes nearly impossible to open the package? Do they think that the elderly people who buy that kind of music can open the package?

I am 44 and I can’t get the package open. What’s that about??

And, why do they wrap each videotape separately, then in packs of 3 or 6? How much wrapping could it possibly need?

Also, while I’m at it, why do they put pickles on everything? Is there a pickle lobby? What percentage of people want a pickle on their sandwich? 30%? So why do 100% get the pickle? Once I asked for no pickle at a Rally’s drive-thru, they told me to pull over and wait, then brought out the bag, and the hamburger had pickles on it! I found out by confidently biting into the burger while driving. Yuk! Why did they think I asked for no pickles?

Why can’t they add the pickles for those who ask for them. Also, why do they put about 10 on there? How many could you possibly want?

Now I’m so mad I’m not sure if it’s pickel or pickle.

:mad: :confused: :smack:

I don’t think there’s an age requirement for not being able to pry open the slick plastic wrap they use on CDs and video tapes; I’ve always had trouble with them. Perhaps they’re trying to reinforce the evolutionary changes that got us using tools so many years ago.

In Japan they’re very clever at leaving some way to open the package. The MDs I bought in Japan are wrapped so that the main seam down the front of the package is unglued, so you can pull it apart and the rest of the plastic comes off fairly easily. On the other hand, they put everything in as many layers of paper and plastic as they can justify: a box of candy will have a paper wrapping, then the box, then a layer of plastic covering the tray inside the box, and then individual wrapping on every single piece of candy in the box. Maybe they have to make unwrapping easier because they know how often you’re going to be doing it.

(Aside: there is a common Japanese snack called onigiri, consisiting of a triangle of rice with some filling, all wrapped in nori, or dried seaweed. The nori is separated from the rice by a layer of plastic to keep it from going soggy, but said plastic is cunningly attached to the outside wrapper so that, when you unwrap it just so, the plastic comes away and the nori stays put. It’s ingenious.)

As for your pickle complaint, well, I like pickles, so what can I say? I’m guessing you need to ask the Pickle Conundrum either in Great Debates or in the Pit, as it could get messy.

1. Carry a little pen-knife. That’s what I do. It comes in handy more often than you’d think.

2. I assume you’re talking about blank tapes. Since they sell tapes singly or in multi-packs, I’m sure it’s more cost-effective to just bundle up the singly wrapped tapes together, than to have a separate process for multi-pack units.

3. Why don’t they add ketchup only for those who ask? Or Onions? Or mustard? I’m pretty confident that the fast-food companies have highly invested in focus groups to determine exactly what burger configuration will please the most people. Turns out, you are not most people. Neither am I, I hate mayo and onions,and, if I’m in a hurry, I’ll just wipe 'em off the burger. If I’m not in a hurry, I’ll special order my burger. In your case, they messed up, forgot to omit the pickles. It happens.

hrh