Writer James Herbert is dead

It looks like horror/supernatural author James Herbert has died. I’m unexpectedly sad about this - Rats and its sequels were my very earliest introduction to a genre that’s given me a lot of enjoyment over the years. I’ve also read quite a bit of biographical stuff about him (which I don’t tend to do about many authors) and he came across as a fairly ordinary, nice sort of man.

He was never the most adept of writers, but he did what he did very well, at least in the early years. I can’t remember where, but I remember reading Stephen King’s account of how he regretted his own early dismissing Herbert as essentially a hack, and developed some respect for him.

He leaves a wife and children, apparently.

Only 69 years old, what a shame. I have read Survivor and the Fog many times, thanks Mr Herbert…

Rick Hautala also, heart attack, age 64.

I’ve read some of Hautala’s short stories but none of his novels. Encountered him on a horror forum several years ago. He was a very nice man, and helpful to aspiring writers.

Haven’t read James Herbert for years, but greatly enjoyed his books back in the 70’s and 80’s. The Fog and The Rats are standouts, and The Magic Cottage.

I hope this isn’t the start of a trend.

I guess it was the end of a trend. I just learned that David Silva died a week ago, age 62. He’s a horror writer and editor – edited Shivers and The Horror Show.

Goddamn.

That’s a shame, Dune was terrific.

That’s a different Herbert. :slight_smile: