Wrong music

I liked it.

The Indigo Girls did an acoustic version of Clampdown by The Clash.

I’m shuddering now just thinking about it.

After the Scissor Sisters did the disco version of “Comfortably Numb,” the remaining Pink Floyd fans all put out their ear drums.

OK, I got one. After college, I moved away to Hungary for five years. The first week there, I was jet-lagged and bed-bound in the middle of the hot summer. I was not doing very well and, to compound my miserableness, my roommate was off to Cape Town for vacation and I was stuck all alone in a foreign place with very little cultural, geographical, or linguistic bearings.

So, I’m lying on the couch, feeling vaguely surreal as it was, and start channel surfing. I come across a video of the smurfs dancing around, singing Hungarian lyrics over none other than Coolio’s “Gangsta’s Paradise.” I thought I had just lost the last vestige of my sanity.

Any hoochie cover songs, particularly Christmas songs. You know, where the singer can’t just sing the song, they have to add in all these vocal trills and flourishes and crap. Such as: Siii-iii-iii-iii-leee-eeee-ent Niiii-iiighhhhtt-uh, Hoooooo-ooo-ooo-oo-llyy-y-yyyy Ni-i-ight-uh. Aaa-aa-aa-alllllll is caa-alm-uh, etc.
Drives me insane.

That would, indeed, be wrong. But not quite as wrong, I think, as his version of Mrs. Robinson. From which he somehow edited all references to Jesus.

Not that I’m too fond of anything by Sinatra… The place I worked in college, the manager insisted on playing Sinatra all day, two days a week (coincidentally the two days I worked). That kind of dosage will put anyone off of Sinatra for life.

Hearing Elvis warble his way through Bridge Over Troubled Water had me looking for icepicks to shove in my ears.

Absolutely anything by “Me First and the Gimme Gimmes”.

The entire Kidz Bop phenomenon.
Barney’s mutilations of various public domain melodies.

At last! My chance to Pit Eric Clapton for that lame, dull, abominable acoustic rendition of Layla. OMG, what was he thinking? :smack: He takes one of the most beautiful, inspiring, memorable songs of my youth and turns it into something distressingly Shatner-like.

You say you like that version? :dubious: Well, then, I Pit you too! :stuck_out_tongue:

Tori Amos once covered Slayer’s Raining Blood.

Now, I usually like “weird” covers, I definitely like Slayer, and I particularly like the song Raining Blood (and the almost self-titled album).

No words exist however to describe the awfulness that is this version of the song. You just can’t have lyrics like “Trapped in purgatory, A lifeless object, alive, Awaiting reprisal, Death will be their acquisition” accompanied by piano alone with the slowest tempo ever devised by man.

A greek language version of Charlie Daniels’ “Devil Went Down to Georgia”.

Sinatra really did cover Kermit, on his “trilogy” of CD’s from the late 70s where he tried to prove he was current by singing the Beatles, Billy Joel, Carpenters, etc. Overall the collection is a disaster*, though it’s got novelty value. I’m a big Frank Sinatra fan, but there were some songs he wasn’t meant to sing.

*He did cover a Liza Minelli song that was the theme song to a Martin Scorcese movie nobody saw, and that song got some air play.

Doh! It was a trilogy of record albums, of course.

Many years ago, I was lying in an intensive care bed after having undergone a lengthy surgery. The hospital mistakenly assumed that everyone would be soothed by the sound of Muzak-style “easy listening” music, so there was a music pipeline in every cubicle of the intensive care unit. I was amused and alarmed when I recognized one of the melodies as the theme from MAS*H, “Suicide Is Painless.”

I’m amazed that nobody has mentioned Pat Boone singing heavy metal.

Check the OP. :smiley:

That’s the most ironic thing I’ve seen in days.

I wish I could tell you exactly who it was, but a little over a week ago, I got in the shower right after getting up, turned on the shower radio and heard the worst, most awful voice coming out of it singing, “Teenage Wasteland” by the Who. The music was right, in fact, spot on, and rather good, but the voice accompanying it was female and decidedly off key. I realized a couple of verses later, that it was live.

Turns out, my radio had gotten switched from Jack FM to whatever station Mark & Brian are on now, and they were doing an in studio thing with these kids from a thing called, “Rock and Roll High School”. Mark and Brian went on and on and on to this girl about how great a singer she was, and oh yeah, the band was great, too. She must have been hooooot, because without a visual, she was one of the worst singers EVAH. One step up from William Hung, IMO.

Right music, wrong, oh so wrong, entirely wrong way to present the lyrics.

Virtually anything that gets played by the band on Dancing with the Stars.

Especially, so help me the ballroom dancing version of Cold, Cold Heart.