WWII Homing Pigeon Found

:stuck_out_tongue:

I’ surprised at the delay in translating the message. WWII codes should be in old books on cyphers. They have the RAF guys name. That should be a quick computer lookup. He might still be alive.

It depends. If a one-time pad was used properly when writing the message, it would be extremely difficult to de-crypt it without the original key (which may have been destroyed after the war).

OK, after looking at the linked picture, I’ve cracked it. The results are still in some sort of cypher, maybe someone else can help with it:

WRGOABABD
[del]MLIAOI[/del]
WTBIMPANETP
MLIABOAIAQC
ITTMTSAMSTGAB

Rofllmfao
istmlol
iircbrb
afkppor
ttfn

D’oh! Joke ruined by enforced lowercase.

That IS the message, unencrypted. It was part of a British deception campaign intended to tie up German code breakers by sending random nonsense. :stuck_out_tongue:

Maybe the secret message is what “14 k of g in a f p d” means.

“I just flew in from Germany and boy are my wings tired.”

You know, when I hear that line play in my head, because of the delivery, it teeters on the precipice of astoundingly bad taste.

I can’t concentrate on what the code possibly meant as I’m still trying to get my head around a bomber crew taking an Emergency Homing Pigeon with them. Did they have little cages for them or were they tucked in the rucksack as standard kit?

For the life of me, I can’t figure out how my post demonstrates “astoundingly bad taste”. It was nothing more than a variation on the old stand-up comedy cliché, described in this TV Tropes article on Stock Shticks (example #1). Far from hilarious, I admit- but “astoundingly bad taste”?

I thought it was funny as hell myself.

<snicker>

Knew that sounded familiar - I was just reading about that this summer…

Thanks!

I always hear an accent leaning toward Yiddish. In the context of WWII Germany, that makes me a bit uneasy, pardon me for being overly sensitive.

No problem.

Oy.

“Me name is Speckled Jim”

We’ve go pigeon legs.