WWII: The :Other" Belligerents?

Okay, the principal belligerents in World War II were, on the Allied side, the USSR. the USA, and the UK, and on the Axis side, Germany and Japan. Fascist Italy and China (temporary alliance of KMT and Red Army forces) were second-rank powers able to give the big dogs serious resistance.

What I’m looking for here is to identify what other nations made significant contributions to the prosecution of the war, and in a broad sense what those contributions were – not the details but a summary of major contributions. To keep this a factual-answer GQ thread as opposed to an IMHO topic (“Well, Luxembourg did provide…”), “significant contribution” means either (a) active duty troops engaged in fighting, as opposed to garrisoning, proportionate to their size and in the absolute in excess of a division; (b) logistic or other ancillary support which freed up major-player troops for combat; or © guerrilla or other paramiltary activity equivalent to a Corps or better in combat effectiveness.

I know that Canadians, Aussies, and Kiwis will object that their countries did make significant contributions to the war. But that’s exactly what I’m talking about. Certainly none of them could have ever hoped to defeat a major power one-on-one, but they did provide important elements to the war effort. However, except for part of Canada’s contribution, I know little about what all that was.

Examples for (b) and © would be Norway and Yugoslavia respectively, Norway for putting the world’s 7th largest merchant marine at the service of the war effort while the homeland was under Hitler’s thumb, and Yugoslavia for the guerrilla effort that drove the German armies out of the country (admittedly with the aid of other forces fighting nearby). Finland might fall as an (a) example for the Axis, even though it wasn’t formally an ally, only de facto by force of circumstance.

So there’s the question: what countries not usually focused on in WWII histories made valuable contributions to the war for their side?

Jokes aside about the cowardice of the French in WW2, I think they should be included as providing a significant contribution as well.

Canada had the fourth largest navy in the world by the end of the war. One of the major contributions on the RCN was convoy duty in the north Atlantic, to ensure troops, food and war material got through to Britain.

The Canadian Army fought in both the Italian and Normandy campaigns.

India’s contribution is often overlooked.

True – I accidentally omitted them from the Italy/China list.

Brazil mobilized an army (about 300,000 men); the FBE fought in Italy. A small Brazilian airforce contingent also fought in Europe.
Haiti was the first western hemisphere country to declare war on Germany.
This wasn’t because Haiti was itching to fight (the Haitian army was about 5000 men).
It was because the president of Haiti wanted to seize German-owned coffee and sugar firms…and distribute the assets to his friends (which he did).

Here’s a question: Brazil apparently was the only South American country to send troops overseas. What exactly did they do? What battles did they fight in?

And let’s not forget Finland, which while an ally of Germany was able to hold off Stalin for quite some time.

I get so sick of the mostly American and mostly recent (last decade or so) trend of laying into the French for their surrender to the Nazis. They were soundly defeated, not because of cowardice but pure simple strategy. They had a huge defensive effort that was circumvented where significant. Where engagements did take place they were overwhelmed with forces superior in numbers, tactics, and technology. By the time they surrendered they had already been beaten soundly and thoroughly.

The American hate for the French is as tiring as the knee-jerk anti American sentiment so prevalent in Canada and much of the world.

First country I tend to think of is Finland. The Soviets, fearing that the Germans would break the Ribbentrop/Molotov-pact, invaded the Finnish province of Karelen in order to secure the northern approach to Leningrad, and ultimately to create a puppet state of the entire Finland. The Fins weren’t particularly friendly towards the Soviets, having suffered a civil war between communist and non-communist partisans some years earlier.

As is well known, the Soviet army was in a sorry state at the time. They invaded Finland poorly equipped for a winter campaign. The Fins, while outnumbered and having basically no hardware, caused the Soviets terrible casualties in exchange for the territories conquered.

As the conflict progressed and the Winter War (as the initial campaign is known) segued into the Continuation War with the German invasion of the Soviet Union, Finland came to ally itself with Germany while notably not rendering support or complying to any of Germany’s demands (Mannerheim pointedly refused to round up Finland’s jews).

One of the positive effects Finland had for the allies was to shake up the Soviet military, showing the level of incompetence in the officers corpse, poor training, logistics and the poor state of equipment. This partly led to the reforms which would lead to the Soviets being able to fight Germany on equal ground. In other words, had the Soviets not stubbed their toe against Finland, losses during operation Barbarossa would probably have been greater.

Romania provided Germany with oil and provided huge numbers of troops for war on the Eastern Front. Like Italy, after they got the holy living bejesus kicked out of them, their government fell and was replaced by one friendly to the Allies. Unfortunately for them, they didn’t fare as well as the Italians did following the war. The Russians never forget an injury, it seems, and the Romanians were conveniently close to them for engaging in some payback.

Slight hijack, but for more on this, see this wonderful little article, in which the “War Nerd” (here, as always, absolutely hilarious) goes out of his way to prove that the

Especially by the modern day republic of India.

Hungary was about the only militarily competant ally the Germans had who was not Japan. I think the majority of the forces at the great encirclement of Uman were Hungarian.

If a division is 20,000 troops, there were two dozen countries that had at least that many soldiers killed. I think that qualifies as “engaged in fighting.”

According to wikipedia, these countries had more than 40,000 military deaths:

Soviet Union - 8.8m to 10.7m
Germany - 5.5m
China - 3m to 4m
Japan - 2.1m
Yugoslavia - 446,000
United States - 416,800
United Kingdom - 383,800
Italy - 301,400
Hungary - 300,000
Romania - 300,000
Poland - 240,000
France - 217, 600
Finland - 95,000
India - 87,000
Phillipines - 57,000
Canada 45,400

Countries with between 10k and 40k military deaths: Australia (39.8k), Albania (30k), Czechoslovakia (25k), Bulgaria (22k), Burma (22k), Netherlands (17k), Belgium (12k), New Zealand (12k), South Africa (12k).

They fought a delaying action for the British evacuation of Dunkirk.
I am disgusted at their helped the Nazis imprison and kill French Jews.

The Czechs provided a lot of tanks and chassis for tank destroyers, but only after being annexed. Sweden and Switzerland were neutral but both did extensive trade with the Nazis throughtout the war. Ireland stayed neutral but allowed extensive recruiting by British forces. South Africa got involved in the battles in Africa. Obviously Ethiopia was on our side, and was assisted by British and Commonwealth forces in evicting the Italians who were trying to occupy their country, and in retaking Eritrea. And India was technically a country with a separate armed forces from Britain, so they probably count too. Certainly they provided a lot of soldiers, the largest volunteer military force in history, but as a colony you might want to count them with Britain and Britain’s overseas territories in the Caribean and Africa. And a lot of Polish pilots joined the RAF after their country was conquered.

In fact, there were several battles between the Hungarian and Ukranian armies. Hungary also had about 10 ace fighter pilots in WW2, while Romania and Slovakia list even more.

See

Semi-off the top of my head, major (brigade size or larger) Allied ground troop formations aside from the larger nations that served in Europe, for nations conquered by Germany only including forces fighting on in exile. I’m sure I must have missed some, my apologies for any exclusions.

Brazil
1st Inf Div

Canada
First Canadian Army
I Canadian Corps
II Canadian Corps
1,2,3 Candian Inf Div
4,5 Canadian Armored Div

NZ
2 NZ Inf Div

Greece
3 Greek Mtn Bde

Poland
I Polish corps
II Polish Corps
1 Polish Armored Division
2 Warsaw Armoured Division
3 Carpathian Inf Div
4 Inf Div
5 Kresowa Inf Div
2, 14 Polish Arm Bde
1 Independant Polish Parachute Bde

Polish People’s Army (Soviet backed, fought on the eastern front. Most officers were Soviet)
1,2 Polish Army
1-10 Polish Inf Divisions
1-5 Polish Tank Bdes

South Africa
1,2,3 South African Inf Divs
6 South African Arm Div

Australia
6,7 Australian Inf Div

India
4,5,6,8,10 Indian Inf Div
31 Indian Arm Div (didn’t see action)

France