www.radianthealth.org

Hi everyone,

My friend and I have been discussing the nutrition advice posted on http://www.radianthealth.org.
My friend believes that they may be onto something as his grandparents diet was similar to that on the site, and they both lived to be over 100. I, however, maintain that the advice is nothing but the latest diet scam appealing to those trying to rationalize eating high fat diets.

I particularly have a problem with the following line:

“The body will quickly adapt to a minimized carbohydrate diet and begin to manufacture the glucose it needs from the protein you eat and your own stored body fat.”

Is this even possible?

Also:

“your body can’t make more body fat from protein like steak and cheese because these foods contain little sugar (carbohydrates)”

I believe this to be a gross misrepresentation. Kinda like saying “your body needs sugars (carbohydrates) to produce fat, so don’t eat any sugars”.

Thanks everyone!

Michael

Eh, Mike, your link gives me a “Page Not Found”.

1. If this is the “high protein” diet, it’s nothing new. Do a Google search. http://www.google.com

Yes, your body can derive energy from ingested protein and stored fat, it doesn’t NEED carbs and sugars to get energy and keep you on your feet. It’s just easier for your body. Also, if your body is earmarking all the ingested protein for energy needs, it’s not using any of it for tissue building and repair.

1. Your body CAN make fat and store it from a high-protein, low-carb diet. Anytime your caloric intake is greater than your energy needs, your body converts the excess to fat. However, as I said, usually on a high-protein low-carb diet your body is using virtually all of the protein-derived calories just to keep you walking around. So there usually isn’t any left over for fat deposit.

You’d have to be eating a humongous amount of protein every day to get fat on it, but it’s perfectly possible. Look at the diet of previous centuries. In the 18th and 19th centuries, middle and upper-class people ate meals that were virtually all protein, hardly any carbs (usually a little bread) and no fruits or veg at all. And yes, there were fat people in the 18th and 19th centuries.

The address is correct http://www.radianthealth.org it’s just that I put a period after it and the period got added to the URL.

Thanks!

Michael

Well, okay, I just spent some time browsing their website. To answer the question your OP didn’t ask, “Yeah, IMO this is just another diet scam.”

The dead giveaway? You have to order the book and use their “secret herbal essence” to get results.

The click-through for the “science” of this, has no science, just more advertising copy. The click-through for “nutritional information” has no nutritional information", just a plug for the book and Mike’s quote.

And this perfectly fascinating illogical little squib.

Um–huh?? Someone else explicate this fallacy, I’m getting a headache. :rolleyes:

Here’s the click-through for “cholesterol”.
http://www.radianthealth.org/high_cholesterol_info.html

It’s a fascinating jumble of the usual snake oil salesman’s hype, facts, factoids, and outright lies.

Um–huh?? We knew this back in 1970?

I don’t have time to check this–is it true? I know the body produces cholesterol, but do their numbers check out?

Undoubtedly true.

Well, it’s true that you need cholesterol, but–“a lot of it”? I doubt that.

And then they finish up with the usual, “Hey, look at the Eskimos…”

And as if all this isn’t insulting enough, their much-ballyhooed “the program that’s based on Nobel Prize-winning science, not opinion!” turns out to be nothing but irrelevant quotes from Nobel prize-winning scientists, like this from the cholesterol page.

What in the world does that have to do with weight loss? Answer–nothing.

Sheesh. :rolleyes:

Yes, I’ve read it in textbooks of that vintage.

Note that “known” is not taken to be equivalent to “was an element of popular culture” here.

And, of course, we should differentiate here (if not on bottles of cooking oil) between cholesterol, cholesterol precursors, and dietary influences on the body’s need for (and production of) cholesterol.

A gross overestimate. A gram (and, of course, 1 gram=1,000 milligrams) is more like it.

Oh, yes. So much, in fact, that your body is not willing to trust your diet (you might turn vegan or do something else stupid :rolleyes: ), but manufactures it itself.