i was taught that the web was the result of the networking of computers at universtiy hospitals and cwru in cleveland, ohio. have i been lied to? or is someone now trying to take credit for something that isn’t theirs? i’d like the answer truthfully, wholly, and undeceitfully given, no bullshit. thanks, and have a nice day.
sincerely,
the guy who’d like to be entropy, so YOU tell me how fucked up i am. :wink:

What you’ve been told is wrong. It’s likely some people in Clevland pretending to be bigger than they are.

I can’t recall all the specifics, and the governmental departments who contributed (too many initials). It was however a series of universities, but not specifically hospitals (they may or may not have been involved at all, instinct makes me doubt it).

I’m tempted to do some web searching to get my facts straight, but I’m lazy, and your lazy ass should have tried that before you came here. I’m sure some of the computer nuts here would jump in and correct my efforts, and/or give a 10x more thourogh answer, so I figure why bother?

I think that this belongs in General Questions, since I don’t see any particular Mailbag item that you’re referring to.

I am therefore closing the topic here and moving it to the General Questions forum.

If I am incorrect and this does refer to a Mailbag item, please e-mail me, and I’ll be glad to un-do and move it back here.

OK?

A couple months back the original papers that started the Internet were found & was highly published. So it should be easy to find on the net.

Al Gore invented the World Wide Web. It was later in the afternoon of the same day he invented the internet.

The Internet (which is not the web) grew out of ARPAnet which was as US Defense Department project.

The World Wide Web was developed at CERN - The European Particle Physics Laboratory. See:

http://www.cern.ch/Public/ACHIEVEMENTS/web.html

“Drink your coffee! Remember, there are people sleeping in China.”

Dennis Matheson — dennis@mountaindiver.com
Hike, Dive, Ski, Climb — www.mountaindiver.com

Case Western Reserve Univ (CWRU) and University Hospitals created the first FREENET system. That may be what they were referring to.

• Dorjän

My apologies to Entropy – there was a passing reference to this in the Mailbag item: What is antimatter?

However, since I already moved the question and people are responding, and since it could logically be put in either forum, and since Nickrz has more to moderate than I do (heh), we’ll leave it here.
[Note: This message has been edited by CKDextHavn]