"X dollars in the year Y" = how much today?

Is there a site where I can just plug in a dollar amount and a year?

If not, the 2 figures I’m looking for are 250 dollars in 1888 and 32,000 dollars in 1932. Those are for a machine tool accessory and a Bugatti Royale. I’m really curious to find out what the equivalent cost would be in today’s dollars.

Thanks, Lee

Here’s a sample of an inflation calculator

Kid:

Assuming we’re talking American dollars, go to www.bls.gov. That’s the federal Bureau of Labor Statistics site. They’re the folks who created and maintain the CPI statistics.

Near the top of the page is a link to the an inflation calculator that will do exactly what you’re looking for. They’ve also got a lot of background info on what the CPI is and is’t. There’s more to it than at first meets the eye.

Wow. That is really cool. The Bugatti Royale would have been US $432k and change. I had expected it to be a lot more…not that 32k was chump change in 1932.

The machine tool accessory was a dividing attachment. It was used for making gears and other items that needed 360 divided by an odd number, such as a gear with 29 teeth. It came out to $4800 in 2002 dollars.

Thanks!