­xkcd thread

I read the last comic and said “Oh, I have to post this to the SDMB!”

Guess I was a little late on that.

This one is somewhat related to the Left/Right thread in GQ

One of my faves:

HAN SOLO: I’m the captain of the Millennium Falcon.

LUKE SKYWALKER: What’s that?

HAN: That’s the ship that made the Kessel Run in less than eleven parsecs!

LUKE: No, I mean, what’s a falcon?

Another fave:

DARTH VADER: I see you have constructed a new lightsaber.

LUKE: Yes. That’s exactly what I did.

CAPTION: Darth discovers Luke’s Fleshlight.

There are many messages I get but can’t read on my dumb phone, I’m guessing that it’s only able to read SMS and nothing else.

Passive-aggressiveness wars will be the end of us.

I’m not sure I’ve ever actually laughed out loud at an XKCD before - but I did at that one.

These days, they’re all bigger problems.

Wheres the “leak to press” function?

It’s a cheat code.
Press and hold copy and translate together for 3 seconds.
Then press crumple and throw at trash like basketball three times.

You can tell Randall is younger than most of us because there are no buttons for “fold”, “spindle” , nor “mutilate”.

I’ve got to admit that I took a minute to figure out his mouse-over quip. Scanning, then shredding would indeed save some run time over shredding, then scanning.

Sadly, Scott Adams beat him to it a quarter-century ago.

Either dtilque was going to post the new xkcd, or they weren’t. 50/50 shot, so I guess I better post it now.

This is highly relevant for the US election.

In 2016 Nate Silver was criticized for his prediction on FiveThirtyEight that Clinton had a 71% chance of winning, Trump 29%.

Some statistically illiterate people thought he was saying that Clinton would definitely win, and when she didn’t they said his prediction was wrong.

At the time, most forecasters were predicting that Clinton had a 90%+ chance of winning, but Silver was a lot less confident.

His latest prediction is that Biden has an 85% chance of winning, and he’s stressing that “Biden is favored to win the election.”

It’s like those 70% shots in XCOM where you feel sure you should hit every time, and you’ll actually miss one in three. The newer XCOM 2 has a cheat on it which gives the player a higher chance to allow for this perception.

Or even the 95% shots. Missing one time in 20 isn’t actually all that rare.

The Civilization games have also been notorious for this: “A spearman defeating a tank!? No way.”. But do you really believe that that’s so impossible that it wouldn’t even happen once, in all of recorded history? Because if they programmed it right, a once-in-all-of-history event should occur about once per game of Civilization.

Humans, probability, and large numbers just don’t mix.

This is one of those truly great xkcd’s that isn’t very funny, but it distills tons of messy reality into a crystal clear few sentences of total truth.

Here’s one that’s both fun AND seemingly tailor-made for the Dope.