­xkcd thread

When did they stop?

I thought it was more about support for Flash ending on 12/31…

Both. That’s the point of the joke.

You can put works into the public domain. But if you do so in Flash form, it’ll last approximately zero seconds before it won’t work any more. Congress giveth and Adobe taketh away.

Recall that that xkcd character is always doing complicated but ineffectual things with his mad bad IT skillz.

They stopped (to an extent) when the US Government kept extending… and extending… and extending… the length of copyright.

No doubt the publishing industry gained considerable financial benefits, and probably so did certain congressmen.

IIRC, works re-started entering the public domain a couple years ago. Those published in 1923 entered at the beginning of 2019. Before that, there was a hiatus of a number of years due to the extending of the length of copyright.

OK, so I totally don’t get this one.

There’s a vaccine method where you use a harmless virus (called the vector) to carry in non-active fragments of the target virus (the one you want to protect against) into the cell, so the cell can learn about the target virus without ever being exposed to the active target virus. This fails if the human happens to already have immunity to the vector.

They aren’t letting the horse in, because they have prior bad associations with horses. Therefore they will not learn how to fight the warriors hidden inside the horse.

=====

The way a viral vector vaccine works is by modifying a harmless virus to tell your cells to make a desired antigen, as well as whatever the virus ordinarily does. So the adenovirus sneaks into your cells, as adenoviruses do, but it not only programs them to make more adenovirus, it also programs them to make coronavirus spike protein.

Then your immune system learns to attack the spike protein.

But if you have prior experience to THAT adenovirus, and are immune to it, your immune system destroys it before it gets into many cells, and therefore before it prompts you to make spike protein. So you may end up with a more robust immunity to that adenovirus, but you don’t develop any immunity to the coronavirus spike protein. And it fails as a coronavirus vaccine.

Ninja’d

But the hover-over is gibberish to me.

I recognize the “secret swap” technique used on cheezy commercials since the 50s, and I recognize the idea of the “victim” character breaking character & getting pissed at the folks who pulled the swap.

Sure, the viral vector is another form of switcheroo. But the whole thing feels real tenuous and forced.

I think the idea is that if someone saw you secretly messing with your coffee, they wouldn’t assume it was a harmless Folgers’ test - they’d assume it was an attempt at murder, and come at you with a sword. This (I suppose) is related to the idea of a vaccine failure due to the body interpreting the innocent outside as a threat.

Possibly done in reference to the Astra Zeneca COVID vaccine using an adenovirus vector? Thought is the lower initial dose worked better because with the higher dose the body learned to recognize the adenovirus well enough for it to not get in the cells as effectively. It better learned to recognize the (horse) carrier as something to attack before it could deliver what was hidden inside.

Yeah, the adenovirus thing is a pretty obvious current event topic.

Funny, but I wonder if Randall lurks here. We have a current thread about adulterated coffee. Did Randall pick coffee as the thing to switch in his comic because of that?

Fo r those who haven’t seen it, this website has a brilliant scale-model of the solar system.
[If the Moon Were Only 1 Pixel - A tediously accurate map of the solar system]

Don’t forget to try out the 'Speed of Light option on the bottom right.

That explanation helps … but surely, the people inside the city walls in the comic are doing exactly what the Trojans SHOULD have done, so I’m not sure where the failure is? Or am I being way too literal?

Well, yes, the Trojans would have been better off leaving the horse outside.

But for the adenovirus vaccine, the “Trojans” i.e. the injectee, would do better to let the “horse” (adenovirus) in and have the “soldiers” (SARS-nCov-2 RNA snips) run rampant inside the “city” (injectee’s body).

So the joke is the ancient Trojans did the wrong thing for them, and now the body, by doing the opposite of the Trojans, is doing the wrong thing now.

Or at least might do the wrong thing; nobody yet knows how much vector immunity will be a problem with the new vax. But we’re all about to find out. In that sense the xkcd is a cautionary tale or whistling past a graveyard.

OK, I didn’t know that one of the COVID vaccines uses another virus as a vector-- I think that’s the missing piece to make the comic make sense. And that seems like it’d be a pretty significant failure mode-- Is there any way to know if a given patient will be strongly resistant to the vector virus (so you know to give that patient a different sort of vaccine)?

The brepth-first search there looks systematic, and like it might be a real thing, a method that will exhaustively reach eventually every possibility, even when breadth and depth can both be infinite. Is the deadth-first method also a real thing? From the limited example given, it’s hard to tell whether it’s completely systematic, or what its system is.