­xkcd thread

And some get thrown into the quarry …

(Hides quickly.)

Mmmm, it’s not the virions that spread…

But it is the virions that are being briefed in that comic strip.

They’re just big-boned

How about “I desperately need to get a PhD”?

He missed “We Proved Something That Has Been Patently Obvious For Decades.”

Or it’s ever-popular cousin

We gathered and massaged a bunch of sorta equivocal data that lends further support (n=rather few, p=0.05) to Something That Has Been Patently Obvious For Decades.

I see this version a lot:

We gathered and massaged a bunch of sorta equivocal data that lends further support (n=rather few, p=0.05) to Something That Will Get Our Names on TV

Also would help with the flu. We’ve pretty much kicked the flu’s butt with all the mask wearing, social distancing, and school closures for this last flu season. It’ll probably come back next season, but maybe we can keep it down again with mask wearing.

Yeah, it’s true, but he’s made the same point before, and I don’t think it needed its own strip.

I’m surprised he didn’t go with “This has been the longest month since Eternal September”.

You mean today isn’t September 10,110, 1993?

Although many know of him because of his Nobel winning discovery of energy quanta, virtually no knows about his work in genetic engineering that produced a faster and more reliable strain of yeast.

Ah, back in the day where a single person could actually do useful work in several different areas of science.

That one took me a long time to get, despite being a 90s kid (mostly). But the shape of the launcher eventually managed to tickle the right part of my brain and I remembered. Hmm, I wonder if I can still buy those anywhere.

Maybe you’d better let the rest of us (i.e. the non-90’s kids) know what it’s about. I’m clueless.