­xkcd thread

Makes sense. Thanks.

And since “Linguists” was brought up, I can think of at least one case where “fell in a hole” could be used, but “fell down a hole” could not. Suppose that there were, say, some government program for which you had to earn at least $20,000 per year to qualify for, and another similar program for those earning under $15,000 per year. Someone earning $17,000, and thus not qualifying for either program, might be said to “fall in the hole” between them, but could not be said to “fall down a hole”.

“Fell down a hole” has the connotations of being deeper than the one who fell in is tall, while “fell in a hole” does not, at least to me.

More literally, you could be in a hole already, and trip on a root and fall.

When they made drones that could recharge just by perching on a power line, the number of feral drones increased dramatically.

Not his most cheerful work.

I’m surprised he didn’t include starting the strip as a milestone in his life.

See also Earth Temperature Timeline and 4.5 Degrees.

SiO2, right?

Of course.

…And I just looked it up. Neither olivine nor feldspar even has a single chemical formula.

Double dagger ‡ comes next, follwed by the section symbol §. I have a hunch we’re going to need the double dagger.

Some double meaning, * also means “birth” and † means “death”, which may or may not mean something for 2020 and 2021. Wikipedia suggests the triple dagger as the third one, which I haven’t been able to find or reproduce here, so § is easier. After that, Wiki says give up and use superscript numbers. I remember some old books that continued with ** and ††.

Back to the Data Tables, 2020 and 2021 are both weird, but they have mostly the same weirdness. Wouldn’t you just use the same symbol, and the same footnote, for both?

Oh, and I’m wondering how many more of the Cursed Connectors we’re going to see.

Depending on the data you’re tabulating, there might well be a significant difference between the two years. Sports, for example, were often shut down completely early on in the pandemic, but were later able to adapt and go through with shortened seasons and fewer fans. This year, things are almost back to normal.

I think Randall could just draw the wide SCSI-2 connector for the next Cursed Connector installment and call it a day.

Okay, how many of us had to check to see if that news story was true or made up for the comic?

<Raises hand>

For the record, it’s made up.