­xkcd thread

If you go to the front page, you will see below the comic:

Permanent link to this comic: https://xkcd.com/2521/

Either

• Right-click on it and choose ‘Copy link address’, or
  • Click on the link, and then copy and paste the url from the address bar

The problem is that Chrome and Edge now “helpfully” change the copied URL to a text hyperlink by default when you paste it. BigT is correct, either right-click and choose “paste as plain text” or type ctrl-shift-V.

Ok, I use Slimjet, which is Chromium-based but doesn’t do that. It’s things like that that make me dislike Chrome itself.

Note that PureText works everywhere, like stripping away people’s deranged font choices when copying text between emails. Delinkifying URLs is just one thing it does (and you can set a global ctrl-shift-V shortcut if you want). And of course it works on any browser.

Ctrl-shift-V doesn’t work with my browser (Firefox in Ubuntu). Nor does there seem to be an option to “copy as plaintext”. There is an option to “copy link” and it turns out that that does it.

Huh? If I copy and paste from Chrome’s URL bar, it pastes the URL, in BBedit, TextEdit, Word, probably everything.

I understand the need for everything but the birdseed. Is that simply to feed the birds as you fly by them? Lure them close to hitch a ride when all the other plane-repair supplies are insufficient?

A sacrificial offering to the god of flight for a safe journey.

A misunderstanding of the nature of the plane - if it flies, it’s clearly a bird, and a decent passenger ought bring it some food.

Ah, the old “jet fuel is actually just birdseed” conspiracy theory. I like it.

I assumed it was to use as chaff to avoid another Sully Sullenberger where bird strike took out the engines.

You’ve never went down the airport to feed the big iron birds?

ExplainXKCD originally had a novel idea: you would use it to attract birds to fly the plane if the engine failed.

Heh.

That was quite disturbing.

I’m not sure if I’m glad or disappointed that they didn’t poop on anyone.