­xkcd thread

The fact that it’s slope testing specifically is almost irrelevant: The same thing would be true of almost any statistical test.

But what about the virus’s terroir? School sourced or work place sourced?

You’ve done the extremely improbable and improved an already-good xkcd.

Are colds even a thing anymore? I haven’t had one in about two years. Normally I get 1-2 per year.

Thank you.

As with the flu, social distancing and other anti-covid practices are suppressing colds.

I was informed by reliable sources that masks and social distancing do not work. Are you claiming they’re wrong?

I do wonder how long the effect will last. Not that we’re anywhere close to eradicating the cold, but if it were suppressed enough, maybe it’ll be a few years before it stabilizes at the previous rate. Or even a slightly lower rate, if at least some of us continue to wear masks semi-permanently (and work from home).

Even though I live alone and I’ve been extremely careful about both wearing a mask and social distancing, I still managed to somehow catch a cold in September. I took this as an indication of how important it is to add the third defense of COVID vaccination.

Yeah I bet. You must have been in a panic. I would have been convinced I had covid regardless of test results if I caught a cold. There is such a thing as false negative.

I don’t normally have hypochondriac tendencies, but the next time I start feeling sick I’m going to freak the f*** out.

I’m just getting over a cold. As soon as I started experiencing stuffy nose and chest congestion, I got tested – negative…it’s just a cold. I’m baffled as to where I might have contracted it, but I guess it’s a sign that the world is returning to normal. Yay.

I know this is two weeks late, but here’s what could happen to flag maps of Europe if Putin became a die hard XKCD-fan:
https://twitter.com/btuftin/status/1456281128831266816?s=20

This one got a full out-loud laugh by me, which is not the norm for me with xkcd (or, really, comics in general).

Back to “Painbow”, I would imagine that most scientists just use whatever is the default color scheme of their standard data visualization too. And I further imagine that most of those data visualization tools just base their color scheme on some simple color libraries provided by the OS.

I know that the first time I wrote a Mandelbrot generator, I just used the sixteen standard colors provided by the graphics package that came with the compiler, and those colors weren’t numbered in any particular order (IIRC, 4 was red, and 7 was green).

For some reason, I see that as the punchline to an xkcd.

“I wrote a Mandelbrot generator!”

And a booth with a bunch of Benoit clones walking out of it.

How would you make it apparent that those stick figures were Mandelbrot? :slight_smile:

“The Aristocrats!”

Of course, you know what the middle initial stands for in “Benoit B. Mandelbrot”, right?